Interview--is a suit necessary?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rcc, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Rcc

Rcc New Member

Jul 8, 2012

I have an interview this week at a small Catholic school. They are seeking both a kindergarten and a pre-k teacher. I usually wear a suit for an interview, but it's been a few years and I no longer have one. Is it ok to wear a dress? I have two options, I have a magenta buisness casual dress with a brown belt, or a dressier dress that I wore as an Easter dress. I have absolutely no money to buy anything right now so I am kind of stuck, and nobody has one I can borrow. The other problem is shoes. I have black shoes to wear with the dressier dress, but no brien shoes to go with the other dress. And nobody has any brown pumps to borrow either! Please make any suggestions that can help me. Thanks!

3. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 8, 2012

Can the brown belt be removed and or switched with something else? Could you use a black belt or a scarf as a belt?

Otherwise just wear the other dress. As long as you look professional and respectable it doesn't matter what you wear!

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 8, 2012

I will be honest and say I have never worn a suit to an interview :eek: I wore either dress slacks and a nice shirt with flats, a dress with heels or a longer skirt with a nice shirt and heels.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2012

I only recently bought a suit when I was applying for a job at the district level. Every teaching interview I've been to I've worn a dress.

I was recently on an interview panel for several teaching positions and no one wore a suit.

No advice about the shoes or anything because I'm awful with that, but don't fret about not having a suit.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 8, 2012

It varies regionally, and see you're in NY, which I believe is similar to NJ. Here a suit is customary, but I understand your circumstances. I would say the dressier dress is the way to go, and just make sure everything else about your interview compensates for the lack of suit. Good luck!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 8, 2012

I'm in NJ as well and Suit's are standard here as Mathmagician noted.

Are you certain you can't afford a suit? Goodwill sells suits in their stores. Some people say they have a good selection of expensive clothes sometimes that have only been worn once or twice, although obviously there is no guarantee they will have one that fits you but it's worth a shot. If you don't feel comfortable wearing someone else's clothes (I'm in that boat) then I would try to make sure your outfit exemplifies professionalism (magenta probably does not say that to me anyway).

If you want to give Goodwill a shot, their website has store locations on it. I don't know where in NY you live but if you can take the Path Train from the City to Journal Square in Jersey City, there is a Goodwill store a couple blocks away on Kennedy Blvd. The one time I was in there they had lots of suits (though I didn't really look at any of them). There is probably a store near wherever you live. I'd call whatever store you go to and ask if they have suits before you go (maybe even specifically your size) .

Good luck.

8. Rcc

Rcc New Member

Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately I can't afford anything at all. I just came back to work from maternity leave and didn't realize I wouldn't get paid until the next pay period, so spending anything is a big no no right now! If only they were holding the interviews a week later, then I could at least buy shoes! Good suggestion though, thanks:)

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 8, 2012

Do you maybe have a jacket with another outfit or just a blazer you can borrow to put with one of the dresses or a skirt? Even if it is a little small, you can leave it open over a dress or a shirt. I would just do the best you can, but do recheck the closet and try to think outside the box to find a way to dress it up as much as possible.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 8, 2012

If you think you look professional in the dress then it will be fine to wear to the interview. It is who you are and what you bring to the job which will be the deciding factor in getting hired, not the suit.