Interview in minutes!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by applecore, May 7, 2009.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 7, 2009

Phew what a morning, and it's only a little after 8am...and my interview is at 9! Well, then why am I here??? Simple, I'm rereading through a lot of your experiences of interviews and calming my nerves.

Okay, I'm also making sure the 4th outfit I tired on today is what I want to wear. Sheessh. I ironed 8 possibilities for the interview yesterday and left them hanging on the ironing board so that I'd have an array of choices. I guess that's too many choices because I tried on 3 before taking my DD's to school (they both gave me :thumb::thumb: up with that outfit) but then I noticed I wasn't really "feeling it". So, I came home and changed into outfit #4. I feel and look like a teacher...and I smell clean. That's the important part.

I actually had a student tell me the other day (while I was subbing 2nd grade) that I smelled like his aunt. Okay, so I'm thinking she smells good, so I wait for it. And then his friend asks what she smells like. The sweet boy said, "well, she has cow smells in her house". Nice, I'm begining to think that I smell like a cow. But the sweet kid must know how to backtrack even in his early years because he said, "She smells like pinesol or bleach...really clean, like you teacher". Great. At least I smelled clean over smelling like a cow.

Okay, so I'm more nervous now than I was before I got dressed. Can you tell by my rambles????

I have my portfolio, I'm dressed to impress, I smell clean, and I read deep into having the faith that I will get through this interview one way or another.

Got to run...or I'll be late! Yikes!

3. newbee

newbee Rookie

May 7, 2009

I know how you feel as I am feeling the same. Went for a job fair last week and they want to see me again tomorrow.
    I am so nervous and I wanted some thought for questions like how do you do classroom management, what if a student is very disturbing, how would i tackle it.

Any thoughts??

I am freaking out here. And I need to adjust my suit as its not my size. basically scrambbling with too many things to do before my interview.

4. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 7, 2009

Good luck to you both ladies! I'm envious! They were supposed to open positions in my district 2 weeks ago but have not and I didn't even check today because I'm not ready to be disappointed there is nothing there. You'll both do great!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 7, 2009

I know you have already left but still wanted to send you good wishes and good vibes :)

Let us know how it went

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 7, 2009

Good luck! Wondering how it went!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 7, 2009

How did your interview go, applecore? And good luck tomorrow, newbee!

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 7, 2009

Thanks for asking!!! :hugs:

Phew...what a rush!! I wouldn't have traded it for the world, though.

Nerves?? Hmmm...I was in the :help: me department with nerves. If I didn't show it on the outside, I was shaking more than Elvis' hips on the inside!

Golly, interviews like those (panels) should come with an energy zapper warning. I think I was riding a high of adrenaline getting through the questions, while trying to remember my teacher verbiage and thoughtful answers. I needed a nap when I got home---but I was super jazzed up and snatched my DH from work and we went to lunch:wub:.

Thank goodness the phone rang a few times during the interview (prayerful intervention in my opinion:lol:), those moments gave me some time to ponder and gather my wits. I even remembered to think of three thoughtful questions I wanted to know about the school and the staff (technology, mentoring, etc.).

I'm sure I could have done better with some of the answers, but I was honest and sincere with how I handled the questions (in my humble opinion).

There were two questions they through at me from left field that I pretty much had to say, "That's a great question, and because I'm a life long learner with a desire to pursue my Masters in Teaching to help in that area, I think I would do best to collaborate with teachers and seek strategies..." and it went on like that.

I'm guessing that the interview went well because I just found out that I'm one of two candidates they will call for references tomorrow and then call us both back to give the final consideration. And if I'm chosen I will need to sign a letter of intent before Monday's board meeting so they can say, "We have a teacher!" and be done with the budget for the year.

Can I get a woot woot?? :woot:

---------------------------------------
    newbee....be yourself, dress the way you would teach (or better), brush up on your explaining your experience in all areas...classroom management, strategies, behavior, technology, and have questions prepared for them. I turned the tables at the end of my interview and asked them 3 major questions that I wanted to know before I said yes. I can't wait to hear how you do!

AFWifeinUtah....Don't give up hope! Have you gone to meet the principal with resumes' in hand? Best wishes!!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 7, 2009

It sounds like your interview went great and I hope that you get the job!

10. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 7, 2009

Wow! Good for you!!!! I hope you get the job! Good luck!

11. AMB

AMB Rookie

May 7, 2009

NICE JOB!

Good luck!

Congratulations on making it to the top 2!

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 7, 2009

Sounds awesome applecore :) and quick notice is always a plus. Keep us posted

13. smalltowngal

May 7, 2009

Sounds great, apple!!! Good luck!

14. newbee

newbee Rookie

May 7, 2009

Thanks for the confidence applecore. Will let you know how i did after my return. My interview is at 10am. And you sound confident that you will get the job. i hope I too return back with a smiling face.

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 8, 2009

Thanks!

I woke up this morning dazed and confused wondering if yesterday really happened. After my 2nd cup of coffee I soon realized that it did...and I'm all excited again. I'm really hoping that I get the job, but on the other hand I'm also in the place of acceptance of whatever happens is what's supposed to happen. Sheesh, it's taken me a while to get to this phase...lol.

I wondered about the quick notice, too...but they have to make a quick decision before Monday's board meeting.

Today will be an interesting day...I'll be subbing with my cell phone on vibrate awaiting the call. :lol:

Newbee.....I am confident that you will have a great experience in this interview! Smile with confidence that you know your stuff! I'm sure you're over prepared and ready with your smile to the questions they toss at you. I can't wait to hear about your interview. Please remember to fill me in! I'll be thinking of you at 10am!

16. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

May 8, 2009

:D Good for you!!!!!! , best wishes :thumb:

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 8, 2009

Yes, we are rooting for you!! :)

18. palla

palla Companion

May 8, 2009

Wow, applecore, that is awesome! What an amazing day for you!! I am excited to hear your news! Congratulations on such a great interview!

19. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 8, 2009

Applecore--Woohoo!!!
    Please keep us posted on your success!!!

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 8, 2009

OOHH I hope you get it! I'm so excited for you!!! That's what is so funny about reading these threads--- you're suddenly brought back to when you were interviewing for a position.

I was probably just as nervous (or worse) as you when I interviewed for this job. Another teacher was sitting in the office with me and he asked me how I was and I very honestly told him "I'm nervous" :) Turns out he's the art teacher and I see him every day now lol

I think its great that you didn't freak out over not knowing an answer. I got into an interesting conversation with my supervisor about a course I took in college that helped teachers decide "what is science". Sounds easy but when we really got to discussing it its soooooo very difficult and what science is is sometimes hard to define. She loved talking about it and we clicked with that conversation. It didn't bother her one bit that I was still trying to figure out what science actually is as a teacher--- I think any teacher has to have that hunger to learn and to be alright with not knowing everything. The fact that you mentioned that you'd work with other teachers is great too--- a school community needs teachers like that! :)

Good luck--- I hope you can share great news with us soon.

21. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 8, 2009

I was so nervous interviewing last week, too. Even though I know my stuff, I had a lot on the line! If I don't get a job this summer I have to refinance my house, sell my car, etc.
    Plus, you are at a disadvantage because you don't know what they will ask you or how many people will be interviewing you!
    I smile a lot and hope my personality comes through!

22. newbee

newbee Rookie

May 8, 2009

oh well, I almost finished typing my experience and the whole typing got erased from the screen. So retyping again.

Overall my interview sounded pretty positive and I feel confident that they will get back to me.
    These were the questions they asked:

Tell me about yourself: so i went about saying I am a career changer and very enthusiatic to teach as i found teaching very rewarding and satisfying. told a little of my background.

Then the principal asked about classroom management. This school is a high need area-so they were very particular in how i answer that question. I told them setting up rulesin the forst week of class. Getting my students involved in forming rules.
    I also mentioned that if rules are set- still there are kids who will over take that-for them, I will initially tell them to quiet down, my next step to move them to a different seat and finally, tell them, I will like to talk to them about this after class or during recess or a time when it can be discussed.
    The principal, vice principal and the teacher were impressed.
    then the teacher asked me- what will he see if he comes to my class
    I said group activity where everyone is involved.
    I foster group discussion and actvities.
    I believe in connecting real life situations to my lesson and how each topic is really being used in real life

They seemed impressed and seemed they had no more questions. They they asked me if I had any. And I immediately answered yes. they were suprised, but happy.
    My questions to them:
    My planning time. How many minutes am i given to plan my lesson
    Can I use technology to integrate my lessons
    Will i be provided mentor in my first year

I infact had more questions, but stopped.

They seemed very imprssed. But they had other candidates to interview too. so they said they will let me know next week. But offered me to teach a class for 15 minutes. I agreed with pleasure.
    They were preparing for their MCAS. I helped the students. Teacher was impressed
    And then on my way back out of the school, the teacher who interviewed me- said he was very happy about all my questions and was impressed with my answer

So what do you all think?? Good news or not

I hope I get the job.
    As much as I am excited, I am also nervous.

Please please give me that job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. smalltowngal

May 8, 2009

apple-hoping that you heard good news today!

newbee-sounds promising! Crossing my fingers for you!

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 8, 2009

Sounds like a great interview, newbee!

25. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 9, 2009

That's great that the teacher you interviewed with told you you did a great job! I would take that as a hint on how you did :)

One hint that told me I was going to get the position was another teacher who I had done my demo lesson in told me she had a person who could help me find an apartment in the area. I thanked her and it sorta only half clicked in my head what she was telling me at the time :)

26. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 12, 2009

I've had oodles of stuff to tackle since I was able to post last...

gosh, what a great interview you had!!!!

I really REALLY hope and pray that this was the job for you! I love how you jumped right in and taught for that class...even for the short amout of time! :thumb: Very nice!

Keep me posted on the outcome!!

27. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 12, 2009

I got the job!!!!!!

Thank you all for your thoughts and sharing your encouragement an stories. My hope is that you will have the same great experience I had!

I signed my letter of intent yesterday and did some observations at the school as well. It was really a surreal experience...I kept thinking I'd wake up and somebody would tell me it was all a cruel joke. So far, nobody's dared wake me up!!!

I also found out that there were three people that I knew who were candidates for the job (and I know really well)....it's kind of funny.

Here's what happened...

Thursday I got the call that I was one of two candidates and they had to check my references.

Friday I got the call to accept the position and make plans to sign the letter of intent.

Here's the conversation....

Principal: We'd like to offer you the position..

Me: Are you kidding???

Principal: (lol) No...(still laughing)...I'm not kidding...

Me: Oh, gosh, sorry...(lol)...yes! Yes I accept!

The staff has been more than gracious and so very friendly. I get to go tomorrow and sit in on ordering supplies and things for next year, and for my classroom as well. Even though I'm not in the classroom yet, I get the overall say so of what I need and I also have a spending budget. Talk about exciting! I get to spend someone else's money! Okay, so, I'll be good about it and of course well thought out about what I might need to get me through the school year.

Gosh, I'm so excited...and exhausted all at the same time. I've been subbing, too. Sometimes I feel like I'm caught between two jobs at the moment. At least I have the summer to get a good rest in between the craziness.

Now, if I can only keep the idea that I'm an actual 2nd grade teacher in my head....lol....it's really having a hard time sinking in.

28. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 12, 2009

Applecore, Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you...gives me hope that I'll get that call. I couldn't help but laugh at the conversation that you had with the principal when they offered you the job! I'll probably scream with happiness! : ) Have fun planning your classroom in your head. BTW, is this your first teaching job?

29. smalltowngal

May 12, 2009

Congrats!