Interview help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss.G, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Miss.G

Miss.G Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

So I've landed an interview for a position at a school/district that I a very familiar with. The teacher is leaving after just 3 weeks due to family circumstances.

Obviously this is a sticky situation because the teacher has started the year, and I'm sure the questions would be geared towards the smooth transition.

Any ideas of how to answer something like this?
    My gut tells me that the new teacher would need to embrace parts of what the previous teacher has put into place and can't come in and tip over the apple cart but at the same time introducing his/her own ideas and practices.

Any ideas for activities to do with a new class to get to know them, and vice versa now that the year's already started?

What do you all think?

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

flexible, resourceful, helpful

just keep thinking up adjectives or adverbs...I honestly forget which ones usually end in -ful!

but that's what you want to be...full of whatever they need.
    I took over class second semster...1st few weeks, I followed old teacher's lead, then I let them have it...my way or the highway...

that was me...I know that might have been wrong...but you can't keep being a puppet!

practice answering questions...

this class has 4 children at risk for failure..
    what would you plan to do to assist them?

this teacher has an excellent behavior modification plan...
    what would you do to continue this process?

this class has very needy parents. they are sensitive to the teacher who is leaving us.
    How can you calm their fears?

hope that helps...

when you get the second interview..ask more direct questions yourself..

How soon after taking the class should I implement my own teaching style?

that is a loaded question, but one that begs to be answered...

asking or assuming it too soon is not good...

wait till you get the offer...

Because...after you get the job. ..., they can't come back and say..

"why did you do xyz?"

and you can't respond with,

because Mr. So 'n So did xyz...

at that point, they want to hear only about you!

JMO

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

Ten years ago I interviewed for a position with a similar situation. One of the things that the interviewing team liked about my "plan" for smoothing out the situation was to have an OPEN HOUSE/Parent Meeting/Meet-n-Greet. With the exit of the "old" teacher, both the students and parents will be uneasy. I tried to "take over" the classroom decor slowly over a period of a week so as not to make it such an abrupt change. When I interviewed, I talked about rebuilding the teacher-student trust relationship. I literally had to gain/reestablish trust with my class. They were very wary and one of the first questions that I was asked nearly broke my heart... I was asked if I was going to stay with them or if I was going to leave them too. During the interview, I discussed wanting to meet with the current teacher to learn about her procedures/rules, etc. I wanted to continue with what the children were used to until our relationship had been forged... then I would slowly change things if/when needed.

Good luck... be confident in knowing that you will be able to provide a stable, comforting environment for your students while providing them with stimulating, educational content.

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2007

excellent strategy teacherRW...abandonment is a real fear that needs to be addressed. they may never understand the why or how...nobody wants to be left alone