Interview help!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by teach2heart, Sep 13, 2006.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

Well I wasn't anticipating getting a call for another interview since school started over a week ago! There is a position that opened up though at a school up the road- full-time 1st grade until Christmas break and then half-time the remainder of the year. It would be great experience! I have the interview next Monday and am quite excited!! :angel:

After the interview I need to teach a 20 minute reading strategy lesson to the 1st grade students. Any ideas?:confused: I'm thinking of focusing on a Reader's Workshop strategy but it is a bit challenging to do this since I don't know where these students are at academically. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2006

Hey! Congrats on the interview! Is it an LTS position or would you be under contract?? I think I'm confused by the half-time part...
    Anyways, since school just started, these kids are more like kindergardeners than first graders...start slow! I think a Reader's Workshop would be a great idea...maybe you could do sequencing or something, putting the pictures in the right order to tell a story...kids always seem to like that and they get the hang of it quite easily. Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!

4. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

Thank you, TeacherC! I believe it is a contract position. I'm not sure the circumstances, but basically the job would be full-time until the end of December and then the remainder of the year would be a job-share. Sequencing sounds like a great idea! I'm going to do some planning today and see what I come up with :)

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2006

Well, good luck. I'm sure you could find some good info. online. There are lots of books that have easy to sequence events...I'm sure someone else here will know lots of them!

6. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

So I just found out this position is actually just one day a week. Bummer! I guess the other posting I had seen was the other position. Do you think it is worth it? I feel I would be ruining my chances to take any long-term sub positions that came along. Ugh!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2006

Now I am confused, one day a week? Then why bother having you teach a lesson? Are there two posistions open, one the full time and one the one day a week thing?

One day a week, sheh, all you can do then is sub.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 13, 2006

I wouldn't take the job teach2heart. Here's why:

At best, you'd be working 15 full-days, quite possibly 14, and 22 or 23 half days at best. When you add that up, that's 26½ days of work out of a 10-month period. So as you can see, it's not really a full month's work load!!!

IMHO, you stand a better chance of working more throughout the school years as a Substutute than you do as an actual Teacher under those expectations, especially if we have a flu shortage this year and a lot of Substitues have to be used.

And I agree with wldywall. Why make you go through the trouble of devising a plan to teach if it's 1 day a week until December and then half a day after that? What's the point?

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2006

Wow! Glad to hear it! Good luck!! :)

10. Suburban Gal

Sep 17, 2006

What am I missing here? I'm missing something.

11. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Interview tomorrow!

Oops- I accidentally deleted my post!! Had some troubles there :)

Turns out the position IS actually full-time and will turn into a job-share later on in the year. I got all of this straightened out on Friday :) Interview is tomorrow a.m. Very excited! A little nervous of course, even after all these interviews, but looking forward to getting another opportunity :)

12. Suburban Gal

Sep 17, 2006

No problem.

Now it all makes sense to me. Good luck on the interview!

13. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

Well, I made it through the interview & lesson! I am so glad to have it over and not have to worry about it anymore. I feel that it went really well. Should find out a decision within the next couple of days! Phew, now I can relax for a bit :)