Interview help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ayo123, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 5, 2017

Hi! I am looking for advice on how to nail an interview. I have had a handful of "screener" (five-ten minute) interviews, and two regular interviews. I received a recommendation to HR for one of the jobs that they ended up eliminating, and a second interview with a superintendent on another that I didn't get hired for. Other than that, I cannot seem to get past the initial interview!

I am looking for any advice/tips/tricks for having a GREAT interview. I find it hard to really sell myself in the screener interviews, because they are so short. I am trying to tell more stories in my interview to really show them that I have experience, but as a first year teacher with student teaching and summer school as my only experience, that can be tricky!

I generally feel pretty good after my interviews, and am worried I may not be getting hired due to lack of experience/being a first year teacher.

I appreciate any feedback you can give, and would love to hear some great answers for typical interview questions! Thanks!

Ram Ochoa likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 5, 2017

I will tell you the same thing that I told my son when he was looking for a teaching job. Get someone to help you, prompting the questions you believe you will field, and then have the friend record your responses. You may be shocked to find you are rambling, or not actually answering the questions, or that you have mannerisms that are distracting, and the list goes on. Seeing is far better than someone trying to "tell" you.

Ram Ochoa, anon55 and DAH like this.
  4. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 5, 2017

[QUOTE="Ayo123,... I cannot seem to get past the initial interview! [/QUOTE]

Hello Ayo. What are you WEARING to these interviews? Include your hair.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 6, 2017

Defintitely make eye contact and don't ramble on. Silences are ok. If you don't understand the question, say "this is something I need to look into more" and STOP. I made the mistake of going on about things that had nothing to do with the original question. .

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 6, 2017

Good advice.

7. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely try that!

8. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

Hello Ayo. What are you WEARING to these interviews? Include your hair.[/QUOTE]
    I started out wearing dress pants and a nice blouse, with my hair down and straight. But lately I have switched to a long pencil skirt and button up shirt or blouse, with my hair down and straight. I typically wear ballet flats that have a little wedge heel, plain earrings, and my watch.

9. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 7, 2017

I think I have made this mistake before too. I always felt that it was better for me to "guess" or say something, rather than not saying anything. But clearly that hasnt been working for me! :p

10. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 7, 2017

[QUOTE="Ayo...I started out wearing dress pants and a nice blouse, with my hair down and straight. But lately I have switched to a long pencil skirt and button up shirt or blouse, with my hair down and straight. I typically wear ballet flats that have a little wedge heel, plain earrings, and my watch.[/QUOTE]

Hello Ayo. That sounds good. So, it isn't your dress.
    The reason I asked is because many people haven't a clue what is considered inappropriate to wear to an interview. They show-up in clothes that fit like a wet suit, then wonder why they weren't hired. But you don't fall into that category, so there must be another reason.

It could be that they have a smorgasbord of qualified applicants, and that reduces every ones chances.
    A lot of the questions that interviewers ask are standard. You can find them on the internet. Look them up and have those answers thought-out.

Keep trying. Go outside of your county, if necessary.
    Good luck

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 7, 2017

I hope after leaving the interview you research those answers for next time.

12. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 8, 2017

I honestly couldn't remember the questions.

13. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 10, 2017

Yes, I always research my answers afterward. I actually received some feedback from the last principal I interviewed with, and there was only one question that he said he would've liked more information on - my classroom management strategy. So I have been running through it over and over again in my mind, and I finally feel prepared for my next interview and think I will do well! The only downside now is that school is starting soon, and I am not receiving any calls for interviews.

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Ram Ochoa, Ayo123 and Rainbowbird like this.
  15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 10, 2017

In the future, I wouldn't bring up taking it a class in it in college in the fall. It screams inexperience. Don't beat yourself up though. We have all had that interview experience.

16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2017

Ayo123 likes this.
  17. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 10, 2017

[QUOTE="Leaborb192, I just watch this video and it brings me joy! [/QUOTE]

Oh, Leaborb, that video was HILARIOUS :rofl:
    Thanks

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 10, 2017

That was hilarious!

I think we all second-guess ourselves and worry about that one question that we wish we could have done better on. We all have those moments when we know the answer but just couldn't phrase it or get it out the way we wanted. The good news is that sometimes you just never know! I thought I had failed my first interview ever after college badly--but I got the job, and not only that, they told me that one of the reasons I was hired was that they wanted someone "quieter"--the school was full of extroverts and they were trying to balance out all the personalities. Honestly I thought I had failed it. For the job I currently hold, I thought I did just "OK" and really didn't expect to get a call. My colleagues who were on that committee have since told me that they thought I interviewed really well, and sent people to me for advice! I was like, are you kidding me? Sometimes we don't get the job for reasons completely unknown to us. I would try not to worry. Easier said than done! I am waiting for a call to find out if I passed a screening interview that took place yesterday myself.

In my area, competition is fierce and the interviews, at times, feel like you are literally being grilled by an unsmiling cadre of grim reapers! Those are the districts I feel I probably wouldn't want to be a part of, anyway. Good luck and don't give up. There are often late summer hires happening due to over-enrollments, so keep looking!

Ram Ochoa, Ayo123 and Leaborb192 like this.
  19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2017

Ram Ochoa and Rainbowbird like this.
  20. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing that! I always second guess myself, but have gotten calls back to move forward, so clearly I'm not doing TOO bad! Good luck with passing the screener!

I just got a call this morning for a last minute opening for a kindergarten position. School starts Tuesday for them, so I am hoping they're desperate enough to hire me! ;)

Ram Ochoa, Rainbowbird and Leaborb192 like this.
  21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 11, 2017

You're welcome. And good luck. When is the interview? I didn't hear anything today about the screener. So I guess that's probably a no. :(

22. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2017

Rainbowbird and AlwaysAttend like this.
  23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 12, 2017

Sounds awesome, hopefully it works out.

24. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 12, 2017

Definitely sounds promising! Hope you get it!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  25. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2017

26. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 12, 2017

The more you describe it, the more it sounds like a job very few would want. Hopefully that works in your favor.

27. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2017

28. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017

The interview was Friday at 4pm. Got the rejection email today :( Any word on your screener yet? I have one this evening, but I am unsure which grade they are hiring for (the vacancy notice says TBD), and I am only qualified to teach up to 3rd, so I'm hoping its not a waste of time! Its a phone interview so at least I dont have to get all dressed up :p

29. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 14, 2017

Interviews are never a waste, consider them all practice.

30. Ayo123

Ayo123 Rookie

Aug 21, 2017

I agree that they are all practice - except in this case. It ended up being a waste of time because there was no interview. It was for a 4th grade position, so he called me to tell me he would not be interviewing me. Granted it was only a few minutes, it still was a waste of time for him to make the call.

31. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 21, 2017

Well the alternative is that he doesn't call you, and you are left wondering why you were never called.

AlwaysAttend and Ayo123 like this.