Interview Help- Professionalism?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pumpkin0926, May 31, 2018.

1. Pumpkin0926

Pumpkin0926 Rookie

May 31, 2018

Good morning everyone!

So I already know the basic answer to this question, but I would like some feedback from others and your opinions/advice!

I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and it breaks out with any product I use other than my skin care- aka makeup of any kind. It sucks. What sucks even more is that I suffer from pretty gnarly adult acne right now that will not go away. I already look like I am a high school freshman... (I am a mere 4'11 petite 23 year old) so adding this teenage looking face does not help. At all.

Obviously it's crucial to be professional and make a good first impression, but is putting on makeup really that necessary? I know that appearance is a BIG part of the interview, but I dress rather professional to begin, and as much as I would love to look the part face-wise, I cannot risk the consequences and pain of putting makeup on. My skin burns, itches, and I am just plain uncomfortable.

This being said, I am perfectly comfortable in my own skin. I have confidence in myself whether or not I have this skin concern that makes me look "gross." I would not be ashamed to go to interviews bare faced- because in the end it's all about me as a person and being an effective teacher, not my looks. (right? :oops:)

What do you all think of this? What should I do...

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2018

I know as many teachers who don't wear makeup as those who do. I don't see it as a big deal. I pay more attention to how someone carries him/herself and whether their overall appearance is neat & clean.

bella84 and ms.irene like this.
  4. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

May 31, 2018

I wouldn't worry about not wearing make up. I don't wear make up and never have to interviews. I just don't believe in make up.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 31, 2018

I definitely don't equate makeup with professionalism. My female AP never wears any. But, I am in a very laid-back and liberal part of the country, so standards may vary elsewhere. I think you should do whatever makes you feel your best!

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 31, 2018

I don't think no make up would be noticeable. I do wear it every day (I just really like the look of it) and I would say I'm in the minority at my school. Most teachers and my principal don't wear any.

7. Pumpkin0926

Pumpkin0926 Rookie

May 31, 2018

Here is an attractive close up of how bad my face is to give an idea of why I feel like it should be covered, but I just want to or feel like I have to!!! :(

https://ibb.co/iytZvy

I know it's not that bad, but enough to affect first impressions I feel like.

Bah. I hate being an adult.
    [​IMG]

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

May 31, 2018

I'm in a similar boat with being a 5', babyfaced, 20-something. Generally, I don't wear makeup. For interviews, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I haven't noticed that it's made a difference. If you don't want to wear makeup, don't. Just make sure everything else is sleek and tidy.

If you do *want* to wear makeup, may I ask what you've tried so far? If moisturizer doesn't cause reactions, I suggest Clinique's redness solution moisturizer.

9. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

May 31, 2018

I usually only wear mascara and eyeliner because I don't like how things feel on my face. In Texas it just sweats off the second you walk from your car to the building anyways. Maybe a little mascara if you feel you need something, but I don't think that it should make or break an interview if you don't wear any makeup.:)

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 31, 2018

And...you don’t want to work at a place that judges you on makeup or no makeup.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 31, 2018

This.

Make sure you look like you can carry yourself professionally (i.e. I wouldn't show up with boogers hanging out of my nose or my hair over my eyes), but beyond that, if they decide not to hire you and it was because of your looks, you didn't really want to work there in the first place. :)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2018

As much as people say you don’t want to work in a place that judges, your breakouts will be judged by the interviewers- (and parents. And kids...) not necessarily in terms of not being professional, but your skin condition could make people feel uncomfortable.. :( sorry.
    Are you under the care of a dermatologist?

13. Curriculum Chef

Curriculum Chef Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Men don't wear makeup, so what would they do if they had bad skin?

I am a woman with not the best skin, and I wear makeup maybe once a year (e.g special event like an interview or formal event). If there's a blemish, there's a blemish.

Just make sure that you look neat and clean. Professional, in my opinion, does not mean a made up face.

14. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

You need to get a handle on this before you start teaching, which can be every bit as stressful as interviewing! I would invest in a good skincare product, or consult a dermatologist.