Interview help please!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 7, 2006

:D I got a call today about an initial interview for tomorrow afternoon for a kindergarten teacher position. I would be teaching half day at one school and the other half at another school in the same district. I'm very excited about the possibility because I love teaching kindergarten. Its the grade I want to teach. Does anyone have any interview advice for me??? I usually get really nervous before an interview and I want to stay calm so I can think clearly when answering the questions. Any tips on how to relax before an interview??? Any tips on answering questions??? Also, does anyone have a good answer about how you would teach guided reading??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I really want this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

For guided reading you probably won't start until mid-october or later.
    You would not want more than four groups of 5 students. When you are working with one group. Maybe you could have a para or parent volunteer work with one of the other groups on other skills. You would probably need to have a centers: math, reading and maybe listening. You could change them through out the week to have social studies and science centers.

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

Take a deep breath and actually think of the questions they are asking you. During my first few interviews I jumped right into answering the questions without thinking them over. My answers improved when I really thought about them.

If you have a portfolio, use that when answering questions, if you can. I found that when I utilized my portfolio it helped to guide my answers into the direction I was hoping to go.

Good luck! :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2006

I can't help you on the guided reading, sorry.

But I totally agree about taking a minute to think about your answers. This is NOT a test where they're looking for the right answer. What they want is a clue into the kind of person, and the kind of teacher, you are. So don't panic about the little things; concentrate on the big picture: the first impression (professional clothes, firm handshake, friendly smile), and on letting them know that you are THE teacher they need to hire. If the confidence isn't really there, try hard to fake it; they want someone who won't be intimidated by 20 crying 5 year olds.

Try, if possible, to give concrete examples of your answer. Yeah, we all know you're a team player: prove it! You think literacy and differentiated instruction are important; prove it-- how would you (or better yet, have you) implemented those ideas in a real classroom with real kids?

Do great!!

6. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

I agree...when I actually used my portfolio, I was able to explain things more clearly, and it helped me remember what I wanted to say. I put a couple of sticky tabs on the parts that I wanted to show so that I wouldn't have to flip through it until I found them. This way I knew where to open it and it was right at my fingertips. I've gotten positive feedback on showing my portfolio. Most principals won't ask to see it, so you have to show it.

7. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

Make sure you have examples for things you are going to say. Bring the portiflio. If you can find out what mentoring programs they have? Ask thema t least 2 questions so they know you are itnerested.

8. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 7, 2006

I agree. I find if you take a few moments to pause and then answer as opposed to just answering then you tend to formulate the kind of answers they seem to be looking for.

Goo dluck on your interview Sub2Teach! :cool:

9. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 8, 2006

Thanks for all your help! I took your advice and thought about the questions before jumping right into my answer. I think it helped. I also tried taking some deep breaths before interview to stay relaxed. I just sent out a thank you email to the principal. He said he's doing first interviews this week and second interview (panel interviews) next week, so I'm hoping to get called back for a second interview. When do they usually call for a second interview??? Also, he said to email him any other stuff I had or thought of, I'm not sure what he would want, any ideas??? He looked at my portfolio today and I gave him a packet with transcripts, letters of rec, certificates, resume, etc. So what else could I email him that would help?? Anything else I can do? I appreciate all your help, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

10. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 8, 2006

possible email him the best things in your portfollio so when he makes his decision it is right there