Interview hairstyles

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 10, 2012

I just got a call for an interview. I'm so thankful because I've applied to 12 jobs with no leads...but I know compared to some more difficult markets that's not bad at all.

Anyway, I have naturally curly hair that falls just below my shoulders. I have ears that stick out a little so I'm sometimes self-conscious about wearing it up. :eek:

What's the "rule" for hair at an interview? Could I wear it half up, with my shorter layers pinned back?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

Wear your hair in such a way that you are most comfortable. Otherwise you could be sitting at the interview wondering whether or not your hair is looking the way you wanted it to look in a new style. Be yourself.

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I changed up how I wore my hair for my interviews. Sometimes I wore it all the way down and then other times I wore it half up. I would just wear what you feel most comfortable in, and they won't be looking at your ears! If you go in feeling confident, then you will ooze confidence in your interview!

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

I have straight hair, but I usually wear it half up half down with a clip for interviews.

6. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I shave my head, but that doesn't work for everybody. ;)

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I think however you are comfortable will be fine as long as it looks nice, polished and professional. No messy buns or funky clips.

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I don't think it matters much whether it's up or down as long as it's away from your face. I've sat on interview panels and a candidate constantly pushing hair/bangs away from their face during an interview (probably a sign of nervousness) seemed unprofessional.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2012

Whatever is most comfortable as long as it is neat and out of your face :) Best of luck!

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 10, 2012

Just look neat and professional. Good luck.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

I started to wear my hair back with a small headband towards the end of my interview season last summer. I picked a color that blended in with my hair color and a band that was thin. I have thick hair and didn't push the band back too fair so my ears were still covered.

Good luck!

12. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 10, 2012

Just make sure that your hair is not covering your face and won't bother you by being in the way.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

I think I usually straightened my hair and wore it down. For me it seemed more professional that way because my hair can sometimes be hard to control!

14. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 12, 2012

I have long curly hair, and in interviews I put it into a braid. I usually (during the school year) wear a side ponytail, so I would do a side braid as well.