Interview!! Guys.....email!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy&Me, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Emmy&Me

Emmy&Me Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

I know sometimes it can feel awkward sending out unsolicited emails especially if a job listing tells you exactly how to apply, and as we know emailing the principal is not usually on the list! However I have seen so many people get their jobs that way. It wasn't even my intention to do it but I came across a school that I felt pretty darn passionate about so I emailed the P last night right before I went to bed. She called me first thing this morning and I have an interview for Monday! I am elated and feeling so blessed! So PUT your feelers out!! The WORST they're going to do is redirect you to the superintendent's office, say they have nothing, or just not respond. The BEST that will happen is that you get a job you weren't expecting!!

3. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 25, 2014

Yay! Good luck on the interview!
    Sheilah

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2014

:thumb: way to go! It's almost August...it's all about getting your name out there and seeing what opportunities arise , it's crunch time!

Good luck!

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 25, 2014

Good luck! That's exciting!

6. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 25, 2014

You know, this almost makes me want to email the principal of the school for the job that I interviewed for earlier in the week. The HR website said expressly not to, but I also believe that HR offices also have a vested interest in keeping everything focused on the need for their (HR) existence--hence no site-based hiring. I may or may not get asked back for a second interview, based on the HR first interview--but I'm seriously giving thought to just emailing the principal directly.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

I got my job by emailing the principal.

8. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 27, 2014

I have always gotten my jobs by emailing the principal or director.

9. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

What's a good way to phrase an unsolicited e-mail? I'm going to send some out today, and I was thinking of something along the lines of:

Dear Principal [name],

I am writing to inform you of my availability for the upcoming school year. [in case of emergency?] I am currently certified to teach 9-12 Social Studies and am planning to take the Biology Praxis exam at the earliest possible opportunity. Included with this e-mail are my cover letter, resume and a copy of my certification. [Something here about looking forward to working with students in the upcoming year?] Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if any positions become available.

Sincerely

[my name]
    [contact info]

---------

I just don't wanna screw this up; I haven't had any interviews over the summer, so I'm hoping maybe I hit pay dirt here. If not, I'll be subbing!

10. Emmy&Me

Emmy&Me Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

Mohistoryguy,
    It's good but in my opinion, too general. There's nothing about it that doesn't say "I just sent this exact message out to 20 schools". I researched who I was emailing and talked directly about their school, briefly of course, and why I was a good fit.

11. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

Hm. If I did that, I could just update my cover letter and have that be the body. Wouldn't be too much work, but just wasn't sure if that's how I wanted to do it, is all.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2014

Congratulations Emmy&ME!

For Mohistoryguy...
    I think reaching out to principals is a great way to get in the door to a school however, keep in mind that certain words can come across differently to people so it's REALLY REALLY important to offset any possibility of misinterpretations of tone when putting together your wording in an email.

My thoughts... (I may be wrong...just food for your thoughts) :)

Is it okay to tell a principal you are writing to "inform" them? Is there a better way to say this...? Maybe.."I'd like to introduce myself as a potential candidate for available teaching positions at your school. I see that...(insert specifics about THAT school here and how you would a good fit)"

Also, instead of saying you are planning on taking a test...can you say you are currently certified in____ and will be certified in _______ by (date)? You may want to include WHY you've added this certification. Show your passion for both subject areas.

And lastly, instead of telling them to "feel free" to contact YOU, how about asking when it would be best for you to contact THEM again? ...or, simply saying you look forward to hearing from them so you can discuss (insert your best qualities as a teacher here)--

Best Wishes to You!:hugs:

13. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I could estimate a date for certification if I'd already have taken the test. If I have a job when school starts, I can take it in September. If not, it'll be November at the earliest. Though that's kinda my fault, since I misunderstood some advice on when to add certifications.

Definitely taking the other advice in mind!

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 28, 2014

That's how I got my last 2 teaching jobs. HR said to wait and hear from them, never did so I took charge and looked on the school website and sent cover letters and resumes to all the schools I was interested in. None of the principals I interviewed with said I should've went through HR.

15. mohistoryguy

mohistoryguy Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

I'd like to thank all of you for your help! I sent an e-mail to a principal whose school I'd applied to online and got one back saying he'd sent my information along to the interview committee. I certainly hope that's a good sign!

I will say I'm agonizing over how to end these e-mails, though, lol. I'm typing one up to the principal of the school I student taught at and I'm not sure if I just leave it at "Thank you for your time/consideration" part (where I also thanked him again for the opportunity to student teach at his school). Asking when I can contact again doesn't feel right since I won't know when positions open (or even if!), and as per the advice above, I'm not wanting to end with "feel free to contact me." What do you think would be a good way to end the e-mail?

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2014

I usually ended with "I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please contact me at (insert phone and e-mail)"