Interview/Guided Reading Lesson

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chatter297, Jul 17, 2007.

1. chatter297

chatter297 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I just got called back for a third interview at a school!!!! This time I need to do a lesson. This is what I was told:

I need to do a skill based guided reading lesson. (This is where I am a little confused- Yes, I obviously know what guided reading is…but they said skill based, and without being sure of the reading levels of the students.)

-There are around 10 students (Isn’t this a little big for a Guided reading group?)

-They are 5th and 6th grade students. (Bear in mind-Reading Level is a little low as they are summer school students)

-Around 25-30 minutes.

-They are a Reading First School. They are huge on Balanced Literacy and Fountas and Pinnell.

Oh goodness!!! I’m nervous because it’s hard to know their reading level and I don’t want it to be too easy or too hard. Its summer so I want something fun, but something that also shows I know what I’m doing!

Suggestions?!!

3. chatter297

chatter297 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

anybody?

4. nytwinbee

nytwinbee Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

focus on a general skill

I don't teach 5th grade, I teach second, but perhaps you can focus on a general overall comprehension skill. The children may have some prior knowledge, and perhaps you can pinpoint one strategy.

Other 5th grade teachers may be able to help you with the types of strategies 5th graders should be using. You can also do something like how to use context clues to figure out what you are reading, etc., etc.,

I hope this helps somewhat, anyway, good luck!!!!

5. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

Are they giving you any materials to help out (a reading book) that you can use during the lesson? Could you contact the summer school teacher they have right now to discuss any ideas? Just a few suggestions.

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

Be careful - I know of another school who had done something like that. They had kids misbehave on purpose to see how the candidate would respond.

7. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

I teach second grade but did guided reading this year. I am also doing it this summer with sp. ed children. Yes, 10 is way too many for a guided reading lesson. You need to somehow break them up into two groups. You'll need that many copies of a book. Try readingatoz. If you want to teach a skill, I would talk about what good readers look for. Did you by any chance ask if they had leveled books? While you are meeting with one group, you'll need to
    have the other group doing something. Do they expect you to do running records? Guided reading is reading on ind. levels. I would call.