Interview for summer school ?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pommom, Mar 20, 2018.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 20, 2018

I applied for the internal posting to teach summer school. Those of you that taught it, did you have to interview for it?

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 20, 2018

I've worked in the personnel office, taught summer school and was a summer school principal. Teachers that apply internally to teach summer school are often paper-screened by the personnel office and sometimes interviewed over the phone by the summer school principal. Everyone is usually so busy with end-of-the-year business that it's often a frantic rush to fill summer school positions. Those selected might expect to receive a brief phone call from the personnel office or administrator.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2018

Here, summer school is offered at a few central locations. Our summer school positions are all internal postings and are highly competitive and involve interviews.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 20, 2018

Summer school teachers are hard to find in my district, so if you apply, you are teaching.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 20, 2018

It seems it is different for every district.
    However, I asked a few people within my own district, and I still received different answers.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 20, 2018

Nope, not at all. I just told my boss I was interested the past 3 years, and she's said, "Great! Thanks!". The pay is quite nice, and you get it in one big lump sum in August, which helps end out the summer! Plus there are two teachers, and only about 15 students so we just take turns teaching.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2018

In my first district, I had to do a phone interview for summer school, but it seemed like more of a formality.

In my second district, which was a giant mess in general, my teammate and I applied for summer school, heard nothing, and then found out later that other people in the building (P's favorites) were just told they could do it. The union grieved that and said they should have done interviews since they had more candidates than positions. They ended up adding on a gifted enrichment program that my teammate and I got to do instead, which was WAY cushier than regular summer school, so it definitely worked out in our favor!

My current school has only had summer school for one year while I've been here. The summer school P (not my P, from elsewhere in the district) made a big deal about coming and doing a formal, 45 minute in-person interview with me. My building P told me she also made her go through a whole formal "reference form" for me. When I got hired, they had several subs and fresh out of college graduates working, so it seems like the competition truly wasn't that stiff as far as internal candidates go.

My district recently posted summer school positions for this coming summer. I've applied, but don't know anything about who is in charge or what the program is supposed to be like. I hope I find out soon because I'd like to know what I'll be doing this summer!

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 20, 2018

I’ve never had to interview for summer school, even in the large districts. But it probably varies widely throughout the state.

10. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 20, 2018

All I can do is just wait and see what happens. I am trying to plan my summer, so the sooner I know, the better.
    I work in a huge public school district.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 20, 2018

They may wait to tell y’all until they know how many kids will need summer school. If you haven’t had to turn in names yet, they don’t have the numbers set.

12. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Mar 21, 2018

Our district does a phone interview, but it's really not a big deal. I've always been under the impression they just call to make sure you can string a group of sentences together. I don't think the answers really mean much. Last year they cut out the reading camp and only kept the science camp so it came down to a list of seniority and employment status. Permanent status teachers get first preference, then probational teachers, then anyone on temp contracts. Unfortunately there are a TON of employees who've been on temp contracts for years and years at my district. That group is the one who most needs the money, so it sucks that the preference works the way it does. Ever since the recession, they claim they need the flexibility of temporary contracts. Since there's never a service year salary increase with that type of contract, it works out well for the district.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 24, 2018

My first ever position in a public school was a summer school position. I got a call from CO that they hired me. References checked and all was good. Then I went to fill out paperwork and was provided a tour of the HS by an AP.

14. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 24, 2018

That is odd. Summer school positions are internal postings.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 24, 2018

Not always. My principal recommended me to his friend who was a principal in another school when the other P called asking if he had anyone who would be good for summer school since he didn’t like the quality of the applicants in his district.

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 25, 2018

Let's just say it's always good to know people. The lowdown went as follows. I finished interning in the spring and started applying for any kind of position listed on the online application. There were summer math openings in my hometown and I applied. Luckily, the secretary at the CO went to church with me. I think she pulled my application first and the rest is history!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2018

My son applies to work in the summer in VA, and the answer was "YES" about interviews, even through internal posts. They are generally looking for a specific personality type to mesh with the Summer School students, many who are less than stellar students. They are looking for a "fit".