Interview for HS Business Teaching position

Discussion in 'High School' started by dawnjoy, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dawnjoy

dawnjoy Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I have an interview for a High School Business Teaching position this week and am wondering if anyone can help as to what type of questions may be posed to me in the interview? I have been on Elementary interviews but this is my first High School Interview.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

4. lisap

lisap Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I'm sure they would ask about your comfort and use of technology! They might also ask how you would structure a class period. My school asks how you would work with a special ed student and the sped ed teachers and participate in IEPs. We also ask why you want this particular job at this school. We have a small school so another typical question is how you would participate in advising or coaching. Good luck!

5. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Depending on which types of courses they teach they may ask you about different business subjects...Business Ed is pretty broad, ranging anywhere from the simple Computer skills, Intro to Business, keyboarding to the more advanced, Accounting, Marketing, Computer Science, Multimedia, etc.

Assuming it is a computer/type position, they'll definitely ask you how you would respond to walking into class and having all the computers down, or what would happen if 1/2 of your computers went down...make sure that you talk about having the students group up (if only a few are down) or about all of the "off-line" activities that you'll have ready in case all of the computers go down (or the Internet is down, or whatever).

They may ask you about your understanding of technology and whether you would be able to fix computers if they are broken...be honest, you don't want to put yourself in an uncomfortable position. Also, make sure that you point out that you are always learning about technology, and highlight any sources that you use to keep yourself up to date (do you subscribe to PC Magazine, etc?). I tell my students that I've been using Microsoft office for almost 15 years but I'm still learning about it...and some of them may know features and tricks that I don't, so we can learn from each other.

If you are teaching keyboarding, you should probably do a little research on it...keyboarding is a great skill but it's not as simple as you think to teach it...specific ways to check for understanding, etc.

Good luck, I teach business ed and really love it. The students respond well to the lessons because you can almost always apply what they are learning to real-life, practical applications that they can make the connections to.

Good luck!