Interview for fifth grade position tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by goopp, Jul 31, 2006.

1. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

I've got an interview tomorrow, for a school about 1 1/2 hours away. That is a longgg drive. I really want to teach in the same district my kids are in because the calendars are VERY different, but right now a job is a job.

I don't know anything about 5th grade. I'm trying to search threads about 5th grade, but if anyone has any info they'd like to add to this thread, I'd really appreciate it.

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

I've taught fifth for 6 if my 10 years. It's a great age. But they are wanting independence when they aren't really ready. Be prepared to talk about how you will manage you behavior. Also I would have a plan in place about what you will do for parent communication. I would send a letter home every monday and on the newsletter I would discuss topics we'd be covering for the week but give an individual behavior comment for each child. Discuss how you will incorporate the state standards in testing formate so that students get state testing practice on just about everything they do.

Do you need any thing more specific?

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions!

Does this info make sense:

My behavior management plan is to implement procedures for everything. I will also have high expectations for the class, as a whole and individually and communicate those expectations to them on a daily basis. I also plan to overplan...to keep the students so busy that they don't have a lot of time or energy to misbehave. Any misbehavior will be dealt with on an individual basis. I will have one on one meetings with students who want to disrupt the class or otherwise act up. We will decide on consequences together. If that doesn't work, I will work with other teachers on a solution, and/or get the parents involved. Usually between these options we (the student and I) can get the problem resolved.

As to parent communication - I will send home a weekly newsletter to discuss what we will be doing in our class.

I have a daughter going into 4th grade, and I know she is getting much more independent, so I think that 5th grade could be great for doing lots of projects, independently, in pairs or with a group. I also know they still like things like stickers and treats, so that is not much different from 3rd grade.

I'm a little worried about this interview, but I think that's pretty normal for me. I'm sure everything will go great.

5. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I also taught fifth grade this past year. I am about an hour away from my job and I must say that it is very difficult to be so far away. It is difficult to be as involved in the school as you might want to be. The children would always want me to stay for concerts, etc. I couldn't always because I would be getting home at 10. The decision is yours but really think about it. After I accepted the position I was offered another one which was 20 minutes away. Fifth grade is a nice grade. Be prepared to talk about differentiated instruction. Behavior management is huge. Come up with a plan that you can describe before the interview. Writing is also another big thing in fifth grade. My principal loved to see a lot of group work. Any questions just ask.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

I have a 4th grader and a sophomore in HS, so staying late is really not going to be an option very often. I'm still hoping to get a position at my daughters school (3rd grade or Kindergarten). They start tomorrow, and the principal should know very soon whether or not they have to add classes. I really want to work there, but I hate to turn down an interview opportunity.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

For dicipline I would say that you keep the parents continually informed (which you kinda did) also mention how you LOVE email and that you are welcome to the idea of emailing parents about issues good and bad. Also sometimes when this question is asked we tend to go straight to worse case senerio... what do you do when they are good and to keep them good? Talk about your stickers and rewards too!

Mention how you love cooperative groups and that you like students to think independently!

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 31, 2006

thank you!!! If you think of anything else, let me know.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 31, 2006

I also have an interview for a 5th grade position this week. :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

Good luck goopp and Beth!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

Good luck to both of you!!!

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

Good luck Beth!!

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Hey it's better than 4+ hrs LOL. Best of luck. You will do great. Just think it's experience and maybe next yr you won't have to drive so far.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2006

Good luck today!!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2006

Knock 'em dead, guys!!!

16. Armadillo

Armadillo Rookie

Aug 1, 2006

Let us know what happens, Good Luck!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Fill us in on how it went!

18. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

I'm back from my interview and I think it went pretty well. I went into it thinking, "I don't want to teach in this county, or this far from my house" and came away thinking...I really want this job!!! The school is old, and the attendance is down...only 475 students, but that means there are only 21 or 22 kids in the fifth grade classes. The idea of teaching fifth grade is really growing on me, thanks to all the posts on A-Z.

The schedule is very different from my kids, we started today, and they don't start until the 14th (teachers start next week). We get a week in Sept and Feb that they don't get...but I think if I'd take my youngest with me if I got hired, so at least one of them would be on the same schedule as me. The other one is 15, so she could make it on her own when she's out and we aren't.

I got to see the room that would be mine if they hire me. The teacher left to take a middle school position. She left some great stuff in the room. Clipboards, a small sofa, bean bag chairs and some storage containers, all labeled neatly.

They had 2 more people to interview tomorrow, and she said she'd call me and let me know something tomorrow afternoon. So hopefully I'll know something by Thursday at the latest. Now is the hard part...waiting...I'm not very good at that!!

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 1, 2006

Waiting is definitely not easy. It sounds like a decision will be made soon, though which is definitely a plus. Good luck!!!

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

Good Luck Goop!!!!:)

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Hoping for the best!

22. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Aug 1, 2006

Lots of luck and fingers crossed!!

23. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2006

Sounds positive! Good luck.

24. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

Good luck I hope you get it. Did they ask you able communication and dicipline?

25. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

They did ask about my behavior management plan. She also said that they have a LOT of parental involvement and wanted to know if I was ok with having parents in my classroom.

Other questions: What made me happy, what did I get upset about, what procedures do I use, do I work better by myself or with a group, what do you know about our school, why should we hire you? I know there were more, but that's all I can think of now.

26. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2006

It's a good thing they asked you about procedures bc you have that whole thing prepared for them!!!

Nice Job!

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2006

Sounds great!!!

28. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 1, 2006

When I went in, I handed both of them (the principal and asst. principal) my folder of information. They didn't look at it, but were pleasantly surprised that I had prepared stuff for them. Then when she asked about my procedures and behavior management plan, I told her there was information about that in the right hand pocket. She got it out and I went over a lot of what was on there.

Then when she asked me about parent involvement and how I felt about it, I told her there was a sample newsletter in the packet, and that I had written an article for the newsletter about how I loved having parents help out in the classroom. She pulled it out and skimmed it an seemed impressed.

Thanks for all your help, it was great being really prepared.

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2006

Sounds great!!

30. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 1, 2006

Good Luck! I hope you guys get the job(s).

31. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

I got an offer!!!

The school I interviewed at yesterday called this morning and offered me the job!!! I am soooo excited, but a little hesitant. I really wanted to just say YES immediately, but I asked if I could have till tomorrow morning.

I've called the principal at my daughter's school, who I had a great interview with a couple of weeks ago. School started yesterday there, but he couldn't hire until after the official student counts, etc. I'm waiting for him to call me back, and I'm going to let him know that I got this offer, and see if that will push him into making me an offer, even if I can't start for a week or 2. It would be so much more convenient, 10 minutes away, plus I'd be on the same calendar as my kids. The job offer I got is on a totally different calendar...they don't even start for 2 weeks.

I'm going crazy waiting for him to get back to me...I really want to call them back and tell them one way or the other...I've been looking for so long, I'm worried they'll call and say "never mind" since I didn't say yes right away.

32. Armadillo

Armadillo Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

YAY! Congratulations on the offer! Lots of things are happening quickly now that school's so close. Hopefully you'll get the dream job where your daughter is. But if not, at least you got a job! Good Luck!

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

Oh yeah! I am glad you got the job. Now if only the closer school would call you offer you a job. That would be great!
    Do all of GA schools have the same vacations?

34. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

There is not an opening at the closer school, but that's ok, I'm really excited about teaching at the school that offered. They are one of the top 20 schools in the state. I've decided to take my youngest 4th grade) daughter with me. She'll be on a different schedule than her friends, but it will be ok.

Every school district in GA (which pretty much means every county) sets their own calendar. Two counties (ours and one south of Atlanta) started Tuesday and everyone else should be starting over the next few weeks. The county I'll be teaching in starts the 14th. My daughter doesn't quite understand how she can go to school for a couple of weeks, then start the new school on the 1st day. My oldest will stay in Cherokee county, so she'll have a week off in Sept and one in Feb, as well as the entire week of T'giving, while I'll be working those weeks. She's 15 though, I think she can handle it. She's a little upset because we had planned a vacation for that week in Sept, and now we can't go. Oh well, our spring break in April is all the same week, so maybe we can do something then.

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

Congratulations on the new job!

36. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

thanks. You too...at least all I have to worry about is getting my room ready by next Thursday and what to do the 1st day...you have to find a place to live and plan for K-8...Good luck, I know we will both have great years.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

hahaha I am still waiting to find out what grades the 10 students are in.

38. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

It sounds to me like you will be able to run your own show and at least there wont be anyone breathing down your neck constantly! When does school start?? I missed where this school is too.

39. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

It starts the 29th teachers first day is the 28th. It is four hrs northeast of me.