Interview for assistant/para job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roll, Aug 7, 2011.

1. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

I earned my certification in May, but I am looking for a job in a state where I'm not (yet) certified. I therefore decided to apply for assistant jobs. What should I bring to the interview? I don't want to look overqualified, but I do know a lot more and have more experience than other applicants will.

I have my resume and letters of recommendation - any other suggestions? Should I forget the portfolio? Should I bring my out of state certificate etc - it wouldn't be useful to them anyway?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

You & I are in similar boats in a small way! I have a Masters in special ed & 2 credentials & started grad school in May for the 2nd time studying the SLP field, but I'm trying to get a SLPA job (speech-lang path asst), so I'm overqualified too, but I'm not ready yet to be hired as a full SLP, but I do NOT want to return to teaching special ed.

If I were you, I'd put a copy of everything I've earned in my resume packet to show your knowledge because you never know what the employer may offer you! I'll do that too, but I've switched gears to SLP & that's the field in which I want to stay.

Good luck!

4. TeachGA

TeachGA Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I interviewed for a para job a couple of weeks ago. I brought a few copies of my resume, as well as my portfolio and a notepad that listed some questions I wanted to ask as well as some details from their website I wanted to bring up. It must have worked - they hired me for a long-term sub job the next day, yay!

Good luck! It's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared! :)

5. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

If you have a portfolio, bring it. I can't see how it would really harm you in any way. Also, if it makes you feel better, my school hired me as a para specifically because I'm overqualified. Maybe your school will feel the same way!

6. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I've decided against the portfolio - I'm not really comfortable with the format right now and don't have time to work on it before the interviews on Thurs. So a few copies of my resume, a copy of reference letters, I will bring a copy of my cert (doesn't have my add-on certs but it's the wrong field anyway) and I will try and sound knowledgeable.

7. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Thank you and good luck to you too! I originally planned to enter occupational therapy but I switched to special ed. I feel as though I made the right decision - hope so!

Thank you! I am just wondering what sorts of questions you asked - I struggle with that. One school isn't online, one is and I am wondering how much I should research on my own and how much I can ask them. They use a specific reading program that I haven't experienced, but I have experience with other reading programs and they seem similar - so I will talk to them about that. What other questions should I be asking them?

I have lost my head at interviews in the past, haven't interviewed in a while so I'm praying that I've gotten better.

Thank you and congratulations! I hope so!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2011

Thank you!