Interview For An Instructional Aide

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Suburban Gal, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 12, 2009

I have an interview for a 3rd, 4th, 5th grade special ed IA this Wednesday morning.

I'm so excited! I think an Instructional Aide would be a more ideal paraprofessional position for me than a TA (teacher's assistant) or a CA (Classroom Assistant).

Wish me luck (again)!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 12, 2009

I would love that kind of job!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2009

Good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Good luck with your interview!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Good luck! Let is know how it goes.

7. Suburban Gal

Jan 13, 2009

I will. I just got called back this morning to tell me it's at 10:30 AM.

8. Suburban Gal

Jan 14, 2009

Unfortunately, I had to call and ask for this interview to be rescheduled due to the bad weather we're having. Travel times are trippled so I would've had to have left at 7:30 AM to have gotten there on time. I thought we weren't going to be hit hard (I watched the 10 'oclock news last night), but it appears we are and when it's over we'll end up with more than an inch of snow. Given the drawn out travel times, poor road conditions, and that I'm in a small rental car yet that just doesn't handle well in these kinds of conditions, I felt it was best that I have this rescheduled.

I'm hoping to have it rescheduled for tomorrow or Friday. Tomorrow afternoon would be good since I'm already in that area for a 1:30 PM interview at a nearby district.

Anyhow, I'm waiting to hear back from the school secretary. She said she'd have to check with the principal.

I hope they understand why I asked it to be rescheduled. You don't think it'll reflect badly on me, do you?

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2009

Honestly, I really don't know. I live in Ca where weather is always pretty decent. Today is 85 degrees. I don't know how used to cancelled interviews due to weather they are, and how they percieve that. You say you would have had to leave by 7:30 a.m., so was it possible for you to have safely driven there? All-in-all, your safety has to come first, so I say that if you did not feel safe driving due to weather conditions, that's most important. Whether or not the school understands that is a separate issue.

10. Suburban Gal

Jan 14, 2009

Thanks, I feel a little better about this now.

I suppose I could've just continued driving for the interview, but I would've been enormously late and who knows if the principal could've found the time to meet with me once I finally did manage to make it there.

My cell phone battery was extremely low.. low to the point my phone was bleeping on me every so often letting me know it needed to be charged. I know it was on the charger for a bit before I left but apparently wasn't on long enough. My greatest fear would've been breaking down in the rental car or in some kind of accident and not having a fully charged cell phone to call for help with. As cold as it was today, it wouldn't have been a peach being stranded without a way to contact someone.

11. Suburban Gal

Jan 14, 2009

By the way, I called the school tonight and left a message. I informed the secretary that I was going to be in the area for an interview with a neighboring district tomorrow at 1:30 PM so if the principal wanted to meet with me before or after that'd be great. All she had to do was call me to inform me and I'd be there. So here's to hoping!...

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 15, 2009

Hope you get that one too!

13. Suburban Gal

Jan 22, 2009

I went to the district's website and there's no open positions.

I assume they must've filled it with someone else and it was most likely someone who actually made it to the school for an interview during that God-awful weather we had that day. :(

I wish when places say they'd be more than happy to reschule, they'd reschedule instead of not rescheduling and hiring someone else. This sucks.

Maybe I should've went to the job interview after all even though I would've been several hours late. Then again, the last time I did that I wasn't hired anyhow. Nothing ever works in my favor.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2009

SG: I am so sorry that you didn't get the job. Don't beat yourself up about not being able to make it to the interview. That was crazy weather, and if keeping you safe and possibly saving your life potentially cost you that job, then it was worth it. You can't work if you're not alive.... (I know, I am so enlightening)...

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2009

I'm sorry to hear about the position. :hugs:

16. Suburban Gal

Jan 23, 2009

I won't beat myself up over it, but it stings. It stings bad, especially when I really need a job. Ya know?

17. connect4

connect4 Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

I always thought that Instructional Aid = Teacher Assistant/Aide.

What's the difference between 1) instructional aide 2) teacher's assistant and 3) classroom assistant?

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 24, 2009

Teacher's assistant might require an AA or bachelor's degree. An Instructional aide and a classroom aide require a high school diploma.