??? Interview for a Teacher's Assistant

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by sarsah3, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sarsah3

sarsah3 Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

Hi,

I would love to hear some feedback from special education teachers. I have an interview tomorrow morning :D for a teacher's assistant, basically a 1-on-1 aide. This postition is

"Teaching Assistant - Educational & Life Skills Program"
    The teacher assistant’s primary role is to assist in all aspects of the daily instructional program for special education students. back from special education teachers. The teacher assistant may be responsible for small group instruction under the direct or indirect supervision of the teacher. The teacher assistant will participate in activities necessary to maintain classroom integration and to support a child’s IEP in all curricula activities which include classroom, community, vocational, recreational/leisure, and domestic domains as directed.

This is high school level and it is my understanding that these students are severely disabled. I have also been told that most of the interview is situational. I am wondering if anyone could give me any pointers or suggestions? I am not sure if I know how to handle certain situations, especially behaviorally. I am a general education elementary teacher so this is out of my comfort zone :confused:

Thanks

3. brett158

brett158 Companion

Sep 12, 2006

Whatever situations they ask you, I would be sure to include: I would follow the teachers behavioral/classroom plans or proceedures. However, not knowing those right now I would.........

Point out that you are willing to learn from the teacher and do things her way, yet also have a lot of ideas and are capable of handling things on your own if you need to.

4. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 12, 2006

One of the questions I was asked was, "How would you prepare yourself for any behavior issues that might occur?"
    This was asked after I had given an example of a boy I had that was ED and would start throwing things when he was angry or upset. I said that I would look for signs that he might be getting upset or angry. He would start by throwing small things, his pencil, etc. then it would be his books, his chair, and if he got really upset he would throw his desk. I also had a time out area that he could choose to go to when he was angry and try to cool down. Hope this helps.