Interview for 8th grade US History - help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texasmom, Jun 30, 2007.

1. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

I am an alternative certification candidate and was FINALLY asked to come in and interview for an 8th grade US History position (early American history through 1877). I have only subbed and not very often in US History (maybe only once). How in the world should I prepare this weekend? My interview is Monday morning. HELP!!! I've spent a lot of time online today looking up lesson plans and curriculum, but don't feel like I've gotten very far. Should I just not worry about "cramming" for the content area and just brush up on my interview skills and prepared generic answers? I don't want to come across as a total US History dunce, but I also don't want to sound too prepared. Make sense? I need a happy medium. Alice...help! :)

Michele

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2007

Can you tell I don't feel like doing housework?? And my neighbor's graduation party doesn't start for a few minutes yet :)

For starters, take a look at the interview thread. Take notes-- answer each question first, then take a look at the responses and alter your answers as you see other people's input.http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=19383&highlight=interview+thread

As to the material, I wouldn't sweat it a whole lot. Sure, there will be a lot that you need to prep before you actually teach it. But it's June 30-- school doesn't start for quite some time. There will be time to prep the material once they offer you the job.

Since it's a definite time frame, you may want to brush up on some of the basics. So know the basics of the Constitutional Convention, the Civil War, Reconstruction and anything else that sticks out. In fact, why not hit the bookstore now and find a review book of HS American history. Browse through it over the next two days.

But in all the interviews I ever conducted, I don't think I ever asked a candidate to do any math. I was more concerned with the person I was getting, not which formulas they would have to relearn before they could teach them.

Dress professionally, exude self confidence, and sell them on the idea that YOU are the right person for this job!!

4. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

Thanks, Alice. That's exactly what I needed to hear (read). FYI, the first interview I had a month ago went very well and the principal wants to hire me. The only problem there is that the district doesn't hire alt. cert. applicants who haven't completed their 1st year of internship (that'd be me). But it was great practice and at least I know for sure now that that district is out of the question (at least for this year). The interview on Monday is with another disctrict that DOES hire people in my position.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2007

Buy and download Adam Waxlers book on interviewing, you can see it at the top of the job seekers forum. Or you can look him up in the A to Z teachers store. That book is the best interview prep book around, added bonus to SS teachers, he is a history teacher and the examples to the questions are all related to his teaching......so they will help at an interview immensly. DOWNLOAD IT NOW...well worth the money!

6. loman

loman Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

As a social studies teacher, I almost never get content questions. Out of 4 interviews, I've had 1 S.S. department head ask me a content related question. The other interviews have all had department heads, s.s. teachers, and principals with s.s. backgrounds, but they ask only general teaching questions.

Be prepared for classroom management, meeting the needs of all students, why you chose teaching and social studies, how you interact with parents, etc.