interview follow-up...with a twist

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by awaxler, Jul 25, 2007.

1. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I just read an article that discusses the importance of the follow-up after the interview, but claims that since everyone now knows this it doesn't have the same effect...

He suggests sending a post-interview e-card instead.

I definitely think this would make you stand out more.

Was wondering if anyone here has tried this?

--Adam

3. Justine Cognito

Justine Cognito Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

An ecard instead of an email or a handwritten note? I think I'd just send a regular email before an ecard. I sent a handwritten card the day after my first interview.

4. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I have doubts that a busy administrator would want to click on it and wait for it to load. I think a thank you e-mail is easier for them, but I see what you mean about standing out from the crowd. If was going to do an e-card I would definately follow it up with a hard copy thank you note.

5. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I know some IT systems don't allow for pictures to come through. I don't really like the e-card idea. It seems a little less professional, especially if there is music involved. I like the idea of sending an email and hard copy. That lets interviewers know I am really interested in the position.

6. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I would avoid an e-card if for no other reason than it will either get caught by a spam filter or it will look like spam. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been getting a ton of "A colleague has sent you an e-card" spams.

Pete

7. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

That's a great point...I get tons of those e-card spam meesages...

I definitely wouldn't use an e-card exclusively, but I think combined with a hand-written thank you it may help make the person stand out more...

--Adam

8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Adam,

Then you run the risk of the e-card possibly not being viewed. In order to ensure that an electronic and hard copy thank you are received is to send an actual card and an email. I would rather stand out more by assuring that both are received more than anything else. Also, there are admins who are not comfortable with computers. It happens. So would I send someone something they might have trouble opening? I don't think that would work in my favor.

9. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

I think it's kinda hokey, really. I send emails as soon as I get home so there is a quick reminder and follow with a formal letter expounding on high points of the interview. I do think with many schools having strict firewalls, some of those ecards wouldn't get through. And, where you may think a particular "card" is effective, clever, cute, whatever, the recipient may be just stuffy enough to think of it as being childish, insulting, rude, pushy,etc. I'd just rather keep it really professional, that's all. In an email world, a good, professionally written, honest email is fine followed up with a professionally written letter (I don't send little cards any more).

That's just my thoughts.

PS Adam, been using your interview tips and have been at least feeling a little more comfortable and confident in interviews. Even if nothing happens this year, at least I'll have more tools in the toolbox for next year.

10. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 25, 2007

:hijack: Sorry!

Just wanted to warn everyone that there is an email virus going around. I have been getting these emails that say "a friend sent you an ecard" or a "Neighbor has sent you a greeting." I have deleted them immediately because I know that a "real" ecard would have an email addy I recognized. Well, my mom just got an email at work from their tech and it looks like someone unleashed a virus by opening one of these emails. They are very plain with an attachment. So, be careful...

I would not send an ecard to an interviewer. I agree it may never reach the person or it may not be received favorably by the administrator. I will stick to handwritten thank you notes and professional emails if there is not enough time to send snail mail.