Interview-Fifth Grade ELA Position

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by snowball, Jul 9, 2008.

1. snowball

snowball Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I have an interview next week for a fifth grade ELA position and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. What types of questions are asked and what are the newest 'buzz' words out there? I appreciate any input.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 9, 2008

Do you have any idea what curriculum they use? Knowing that would probably be helpful to you going into the interview. For example, I teach 5th grade ELA and our school uses Readers' and Writers' Workshop so pretty much my entire interview consisted of questions about that.

Also, do 5th graders take any state tests in ELA where you live? If so, you may get questions about how you would prepare your students for those tests.

4. snowball

snowball Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Beth2004

I am not 100% sure of the curriculum that the school uses but if I am to guess I would say Readers' and Writers' workshop, it is huge in this area and I have been looking at Fontus and Pinnell in regards to that. Also, as for state tests we do have a Social Studies test at this level.

5. i_teach_5th

i_teach_5th Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Hello,

I interviewed several times before I was offered my present teaching position. The #1 question every interviewer asked was, "What is your Philosophy of Education?" They also asked me about my literacy experience. I was nervous because I was applying for my 1st teaching position.

I wish you the best of luck!

6. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 15, 2008

Up here the buzz words are "differentiated instruction", "guided reading" of course, but I imagine it's the same down south.

For the interview, determine the one thing that makes you who you are as a teacher (my angle is creativity) and be prepared to back it up with examples. You have to figure that every candidate interviewing for that job is going to deliver the same thing. If you want to make an impression that lasts, sell them on what makes you unique and an asset to that school or district.

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

You are absolutely right. Those are the same buzz words in the south.

8. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Hands on activities is also another big thing that schools want.