Interview Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Feb 28, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Feb 28, 2012

Hey guys! I've been a lurker on this forum for a few weeks. I began my job hunt this month and have already sent out quite a few resumes. My state has a very, very, very competitive job market so I'm sending my application packet to schools up to two and a half hours away from home; I'm single with no children or debt so relocation should not be an issue for me if I need to move for the 2012-2013 year. With gas prices being so absurdly high, I'd like to be 30 minutes or less from where I'm working.

Anyway I have a dilemma, and I was hoping more experienced teachers and administrators could help me. :help:

I received a phone call this morning from a very highly ranked school district that's about two hours away from home (without traffic, of course. my state's notorious for traffic). Basically, they would love for me to come for an interview but for a long-term substitute position that'll last the rest of the year. I'm assuming no benefits and substitute pay - which would make relocation difficult due to cost of living. Additionally, I'm finishing my Masters degree so I need to stay in the area until May. Considering the cost of gas and graduate school obligations, which includes a 60 pg. honors thesis and intensive comp exam, I'm not sure I want to commute four hours (at least) a day for a long-term substitute position. The secretary who left the voicemail acknowledged that since I was located far away from them and specifically stated "2012-2013" on my cover letter she'd understand if I wouldn't be interested in the job, but she decided to drop me a line, regardless, which I thought was a nice gesture and reaffirmed that my cover letter and resume are strong. :hugs:

Do you awesome folks have any suggestions for me? Have you ever interviewed for a job you don't particularly want? Is there anyway to let them know that I'm still very interested in the district itself (it's a WONDERFUL district located in a beautiful area of the state), but commuting for a temporary job would be far too difficult at this time due to school and costs? I'm not sure what the professional response would be and would appreciate any help.

Thank you! :blush:

3. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Feb 28, 2012

That is a tough one because it would get your foot into the door at a good district. But I really don't think it would even give you enough money to live on. (not sure what state) In Ohio you could not drive that far, get sub pay and still have any extra money really.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2012

The professional response is to call and politely turn down the job interview. Let them know that you are thrilled that they called you and so happy to be offered an interview, but you are working on a masters until May, so you are unavailable until then to begin working.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2012

I think a 2 hour commute both ways is too long, especially if you are working on your masters and if they are only giving you substitute pay.
    I would turn it down, but let them know that you would relocate, but you need to stay in the area because of your masters. Make sure you let them know that you're still interested!

6. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Feb 28, 2012

Thanks so much for the helpful responses! :hugs: I'll call the secretary tomorrow morning and tell her that while I'm thrilled with the interview offer and very interested in future opportunities at that district, I need to remain in the area until May.

Best of luck to everyone beginning their job search! Stay positive.

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Feb 28, 2012

I've been in your situation. Honestly, there was nothing to really do for me - just turn it down politely. I said something along the lines of thanks for the interview request, circumstances prohibit me from attending at this time, if you have any more openings please keep me in mind.