Interview: Describe Your Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by WannaTeach, Jul 17, 2007.

1. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Hello, everyone!
    I hope some one out there can help with this! The one question that I feel I need to answer better deals with classroom management.
    Most people talk about their behavior charts and rewards. But, I know there is more to managing a classroom than just behavior issues. How and what would be the best way to answer this question? I want very much to convey to the principal and teachers I am talking that I know what I am doing and that I understand there is more to management than stickers and turned cards. Thanks so much for your help! I would like to answer in a well rounded, professional, true manner.

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Well, think of what things you implement for classroom management and then look at their purpose. So then, you can say "I believe rules are very important for students to understand at that age, so I implement XXXX. By doing this it creates...."

Since I'm looking for a HS job, I always say that it is important a classroom is "open, orderly and optimistic" in order to provide an optimal learning environment. Then I go into detail of what I think open, orderly and optimistic are in my classroom.

4. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

According to Dr. Harry Wong classroom management isn't about rules or sticker charts, it's about PROCEDURES and ROUTINES. If you teach the students the right procedures and routines the first few weeks of school everything else will fall into place. I would definately talk about the procedures and routines that you plan on using in your class and then also talk about the behavior management plan that you will be using.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

In addition to the above, say something about how instruction affects behavior. Behavior goes off-track when the students are either bored or lost, so you teach in ways (and modify your lesson if it's not working) that reach the students. Multiple modalities, etc.

6. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Another thing that Harry Wong talks about is having the students help to create the rules so that there is ownership in the classroom environment. I said this today in an interview and the principal loved it!!! She told me that is something she looks for! When the students help to create the rules, they are therefore held accountable for the rules and you can say, You helped to create it, you broke a rule, now you know the consequence

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I'm secondary, so I think that effects my answer.

I put a lot of importance on the material. From that first day, when I teach, assign homework and give them the year's test dates, to the second, when I warn them of their first quiz (for day #3 usually), they know that this is a class where we're going to work!!! That in and of itself helps a LOT with my classroom management.

8. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I vote with TeacherShelly, busy kids are less likely to get into trouble.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I talk about creating a classroom climate of cooperation, connectedness and contribution bused on respect. This climate is a proactive approach-kids are less apt to misbehave when they are active stakeholders in the process. The community feeling involves class input on rules, clear procedures, class jobs, ccoperative learning, building a strong school to home connection....When behavior issues arise, I try to find the reason why the kids feels discouraged (a misbehaving child is discouraged about something...) and put in place strategies to turn that discouragement around. In extreme cases I will put children on behavior contracts with the family involved in the process. (this is rare for me...)

10. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Thank you everyone! All I can say is a big fat "duh!" I appreciate your help. This question always throws me. I am going to sit down and write out my answer to this as it applies to my classroom using examples of what I have in place. Thanks!

11. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Wannateach
    What part of NC are you from? :)

12. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Amen Harry Wong! I always mention something about having clear expectations and practicing procedures. Tell the students what you want....don't make it a mystery, etc. The admins seem to eat that up...although I am still jobless, so take it for what it's worth!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  13. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Hi! I am from Morganton. Western foothills just east of Asheville. And you?

14. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I have had this question before: explain the difference between management and discipline. Although good classroom managment helps with discipline issues, it really has nothing to do with handeling student behavior. Like it said above, management has to do more with the procedures in your classroom.