Interview Coming Up-

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jobsearching101, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jul 9, 2009

Hey everyone!

I have an interview tomorrow for 5th ( at a school I don't really want to have to commute to, but I'm going anyways) and an interview next Tuesday teaching 6th (with a principal I've interviewed with before- she's not very warm if u know what I mean, but its at a school close to home)

Do any of you have any suggestions on questions I may be asked? I have experience teaching 5th, not 6th. I'm expecting them to ask about classroom management and my literacy curriculum, but what else might they ask?

Thanks! I really want to get back into the school district.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

No experience in these grades, but best wishes to you.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2009

Good luck!!!

6. Mom2Bagain

Mom2Bagain New Member

Jul 9, 2009

Where is this job located?
    In NC or where?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

Let's start with the pep talk.

The commute doesn't matter. The principal doesn't matter. The interview matters. Once you get the job, it's up to you to make lemonade out of those lemons. You really don't need a "warm" principal... a cooly professional principal will be just fine. And along commute may mean you have time to listen to books on tape or Bach or Led Zeppelin or whatever does it for you. To be honest, with 3 kids, a puppy, a husband and a full time job, along with some big time medical issues, there have been lots of time when I would have LOVED a longer commute, so I could have just a little more time to myself.

So my first question for you, as a make believe interviewer, is this: you've never taught 6th-- why should we hire YOU? (The answer, of course, is that you've taught 5th-- you know exactly what they know coming in. Now extrapolate on that.)

8. Jobsearching101

Jul 10, 2009

I hear you. I too, have a husband, 3 kids, 2 dogs, and going back to work full time after several years at home. A long drive would be nice, the problem is, its up a very winding mountain and snow "can" be treacherous in the winter, but that aside, I'm going on the interview mainly for experience. Now, the 6th grade job, I totally WANT...its close to home and I can certainly turn lemons into lemonade with a principal that probably should retire. So, yes, that is good advice...I bring to the table experience from having taught 5th grade so I have a great insight to where the kids should be. I can also manage a class of hormonal 11 year olds better than someone fresh out of school. Any other advice?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2009

One thing that I used to my advantage when I returned to work 3 years ago: those 6 years as a SAHM. Being a mom enabled me to see the other side of the coin-- my cover mentioned my son's 1st grade meltdown over not being able to spell "quack" for a spelling test. I KNOW that being a mom has made me into a more compassionate teacher than I was in the 20 years I taught before I took those 6 years off.

The interview is today, isn't it?? Good luck!

10. Jobsearching101

Jul 10, 2009

Yes, the interview was today. Actually, being a mom changing my perspective on teaching came up in the interview...I made it a point to tell them that I'm so much better at communicating with parents and understanding a 5th grade child (now having one of my own). The interview went so amazingly well that I'd be really surprised if I don't get it. My husband even agreed that we could rent our house out for a year and live up on the mountain so he could do the commute and not me. It'd be SO fun to live up there again right at the lake...we'll see what happens!

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Hopefully you get it and how sweet of your husband

12. Jobsearching101

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks DHE :)

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

Best of luck! Do you know when you'll receive a yes or no?

14. Jobsearching101

Jul 10, 2009

They said they'd be making the decision "quickly" and she asked for my cell number. I thought I'd get a call tonight, but haven't. I really don't want any answer yet...since I have the other interview on Tuesday....but now I'm feeling quite anxious. I sent P an email thanking her for the interview and if she has any more questions for me, please don't hestitate asking...blah, blah , blah.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Good luck Job!! And what a sweet hubby!

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

They will probably ask the following-
    You did not mention what you would be teaching. If it is sixth grade, take a few minutes and review the state standards in 6th grade. Then I would go on their website and familiarize yourself with the math and reading series that they use. Check out some of the teacher websites that at both grade levels so that you can get a feel for what their classrooms look like/sound like. I am sure that they will ask if you are a reading teacher how you would plan for reading instruction. They will probably ask about classroom management, organization as well as your strengths and weaknesses as a teacher. They will probably ask how you would deal with the differing levels of children in your classroom even if they are ability grouped. They will probably ask about how you feel about team planning. They might ask how you would communicate throughout the year with parents and how you might deal with a parent that has a problem with something that you have done, said, or assigned. They might ask about how you would handle a child or children that mainstreamed into your classroom with special needs.

As for the principal that is not overly friendly some people still tend to use the "poker face" when interviewing. He/She may actually be a very nice person but, rather than get a candidates hopes up, they appear bland, uncaring, and frankly, a little uninterested. I try to draw out these kind of individuals with humor. I try to put THEM at ease with a smile and humor. I always make personal contact with this type of person twice. Once when I meet them with a handshake - I stick my hand out first and again, at the end, with another warm handshake and I look them straight in the eye and tell them how much I enjoyed meeting them. I do that will however many people may be interviewing me. People tend to remember that contact - especially making the eye contact and smiling with your eyes and not just your words. Since you have already met this principal, I would treat her like more of a friend than a stranger. I would go in with my handshake outstretched and say, something like, "How nice to be meeting with you again! I am so glad that you thought of me when this position became available!" Try to put HER at ease by saying, "I hope you are having a great summer. And then, follow up with something like, "I have done a few things but mainly I have been interviewing." This lets her know that YOU are a hot commodity and there MAY be some other offers out there. I really hope this helps. I know interviewing with a poker face person can be really difficult. I hate it when I can't "read" how the person feels about me. But I also know that some principals are just, "old school".

All the best!:hugs:

17. Jobsearching101

Jul 11, 2009

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Good luck! It sounds positive for you and how nice of your husband!

19. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Great advice!!

Good Luck!!