Interview cancelled

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by koop, Aug 4, 2007.

1. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Hi everyone,
    What luck I have. The interview I was supposed to have on Monday was cancelled yesterday. The building principal called me and said that someone had gone to the Superintendent and asked for an internal change. This meant that instead of having a fifth grade opening it was now an eighth grade opening. I am only certifIed up to sixth grade. I wanted this chance so bad. I got off the phone with her and cried for a long time. I have been trying for two and a half years now and can't get a job. I am so ready to give up. My life is on a downward spiral and doesn't seem to get better. We are not going to be able to finacially make it through another winter without my having a good paying job. I really needed that job. It is so de[ressing. Thanks for letting me vent.

3. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I am sorry, koop. I know how frustrated you probably feel right now. I know at this point in time you may not believe it, but the right job will come along! Don't give up yet. :)

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 4, 2007

:hugs: I'm sorry the interview didn't work out.

5. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I am so sorry to hear that. You know you can definitely come here and vent. Keep your chin up. Something will come through! Don't give up hope. Resend all your info out, make calls, visit schools, etc. You won't get a shot unless you are aggressive. Make them hire you! :)

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Sorry to hear that! What cra%^y news that is. It is still too early to panic. I know school is starting soon, but there is a huge push right at the end.

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

Talking about it is the first step Koop. Don't think about the job that wasn't yours, think about the one that is still out there. I know you have been trying a long time. Of course, working part time or being a temp is not the same..even if it does pay bills. Have you tried subbing?? Are you looking outside your district? Are you close to state line, and maybe able to visit another world out there??

How about the private schools. Less money I know, but it is a start. Catholic, Lutheran, Christian, some schools call themselves academies..but are really just small private schools. What about charter schools, they are popping up as school district close schools, they are re-opening as charter schools.

What about working for your local library, YMCA/YWCA. Do you have your masters? I know once I get my masters, I can teach junior college. That may not be your cup of tea either, but again..just some suggestions.

I keep bringing up subbing. You know high school subs make more. I am hearing that schools don't want to hire their subs, because they like them so much and they want to keep them. But...if you subbed in the high schools, then you would be like anyone else off the street, out of school, a fresh candidate for elementary.

Another area to consider is the non-profit, social service field. Do you have a special ed. endorsement? Could you work with disabled children, or even disabled and elderly adults? Non-profit groups have schools for behavior disordered and children whose parents are serving time or lost custody. Not all social service jobs have group home only situations. Some have their own schools.

Is it possible to take a class or two and get certified for up to 8th grade? I am only certified for pre-k to 3rd, in Illinois. but in California, I took one test and they certified me up to high school! I know it sound weird, but that's how other states are. Have you looked into requirements for a certificate to teach up to 8th. That way, you won't be dissapointed again, should something like this happen.

Maybe going back to school will give you a break, and things can open up again by Christmas. Many schools have openings in second semester. I know you don't want to wait that long. Just think of people going on leave, new children moving in, all kinds of things that can change.

Take care..I hope this helps.

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I am feeling the same way and I'm keeping my spirits up. I went to a math seminar last week and this week there is a writing seminar I am planning to attend. I keep thinking I should be making connections on the phone, but maybe this will keep my mind busy. I've applied at several districts and haven't heard anything yet, I only had one interview and they didn't even call me or send me a letter. There are a lot of us feeling the way you are. There is a job for all of us super teachers out there it's just waiting for it.:woot:

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2007

I'm so sorry you're feeling down. :( Please know that many of us have had similar experiences, so this is a safe place to vent.

I really think that your best bet is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back into it. Master Pre-K has some great ideas, so that might be a good starting point.

Are you willing to relocate? I know it's not always an option for people, especially those with families, strong roots, or spouses with secure jobs already. My hoosband and I decided to relocate to Las Vegas and it was one of the best decisions we've made. I can definitely send some more information your way if you're at all interested in moving out this way. We have a number of open positions at this time, and they all need to be filled before school starts at the end of the month.

In any event, hang in there!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

what about consulting or tutoring??? I am reading more about people who are out of work, and use this time to become entrepreneurs! They start working from home, and build a small business. That way, when an offer comes their way, they can decide comfortably instead of jumping quickly into something they later regret. Their home business puts food on the table, and it keeps them in the field.

11. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I have my own family run construction busniess and hate it. This was part of the reason I went back to school in the first place. It is so hard on us. Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone to have their own business, but thta's just me. Having another business would just create more headaches right now. I know it works for some people and I really am happy for them, but after 17 1/2 years of dealing with one I need a break.

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

If you can't find a teaching job, apply for any INTERNAL position they have...like T.A. or LTS. I know it stinks when you really want your own room :( but getting IN the building is key. Once there, let it be known to everyone that even though you enjoy the T.A. position, you are trying to get a job! Word of mouth from other teachers goes far with principals...they like to hire someone that their other teachers already get along with. It took me two years of doing this, but I FINALLY got in. Don't give up! Get tough-get in the game anyway that you can! Goodluck-I'll pray for you!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

You know patti2 I have suggested this several times in other threads. It seems that everyone believes that when you are a sub, you won't get the interview! The schools are intent on keeping you in their sub pool, and hire other people who have no experience in the district. I would wrote a thread..subbing your way in the door, and even suggested working as an office temp and subbing high school, and even taking your name off the elementary sub list, but nobody seems to think this will work.

14. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

Sometimes, the only way to get in the building is to T.A. The next year you can sub that building and a few others (I would suggest NOT subbing a whole district). Let 2 or 3 school know that they are YOUR preferred school. Leave a card with your name and sub # at each job-even if you have subbed there before. EAt in the lounge-I know---scary----but most teachers are really nice! Seek out the principal even if to tell him you had a great day...let the principal know that you want to come back! Subbing does pave the way-you KNOW the curriculum at different levels and can bring that up in an interview.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

You know here in Chicago suburbs, one city has as many as four different districts. I would have my cell phone with me, and get calls all the time.

My typical phone call: me in quotes..

Can you sub today??

"What grade?"

Kdg. or 5th

"I'll take Kdg."

Okay, the kindergarten class is going on a field trip, to the zoo and....

"Well, okay - how about 5th?? (field trip=4 classes!!!, zoo=walking all day!!!, bumpy bus ride...Nahh!!!)

5th or 8th?"

"I'll take 5th instead"

5th is special ed, and your two aides are out! How about 8th? You have 4 periods, 15 kids in each class, and we have a student teacher. She has to do everything...we just need you as the licensed teacher!

"8th grade it is!!!" :p

16. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

okay-that is the game I played for awhile. however, I found out about a little thing called "the preferred list". It goes two ways-the school finds subs that the teachers like and they add the sub's name to that. Another way to get on is to call the school-ask to be put on the preferred list because YOU prefer to sub at that school. I get a list of "preferred" subs and I try to use a couple that I like all of the time. That way the kids know them, they know my routine, and they can get their foot in the door like I did. ASK ABOUT THE PREFERRED LIST! It doesn't hurt to put your name and sub # up in the teacher's lounge either (Be bold-ask permission!) This is the way to get LTS assignments!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

OIC...the preferred list!

I guess I was on the 'preferrred sub' list at one school. That's how I got the best assignments, after-school duty pay, and LTS too! Teachers would grab me from the lounge, and give me dates when they would be out. Principal would stop in my room, and say, "I know she will be out for another month, can you stay please??"

Hmmm, I wonder what are the qualifications for subbing in college???

18. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I'm sorry koop, I know how you must feel. I have been getting a couple of interviews, but no hires yet. :( It is very discouraging and my husband and I are in a similar situation financially. What state are you in? I am in Delaware and there are so few positions and too many teachers. It stinks!

19. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

IloveKinder I am in New York. It is so hard to get a job here. I have talked to four different principals that I sub for and they have all told me that nothing is wrong with my resume or cover letter, I just need to keep trying. After working for these two school districts for two years now and not even getting an interview with them I don't think I ever will. Some school districts just do not hire their subs. With four kids I can't afford to not have a fulltime teaching job. New home construction had dropped dramatically here and that leaves us without a livelihood and no money to buy food for my kids. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. It would be very diifcult to uproot four kids when two are in high school and then their is a two year old.

20. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I am so sorry to hear that koop. I am fortunate in that I have no children yet, because I would be worried about taking care of them financially right now too. I understand it is difficult to find work for a teacher in a few north east states like new york, jersey, delaware and pa. I too subbed last year and didn't get asked for an interview. Since then I was graced with a few interviews, but no jobs. I have been told the same thing about my resume from two district's head human resources person. It is very frustrating. I hope something happens for you soon. You will be in my prayers. :)