Interview "Buzzwords"

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JRafko, Apr 8, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 8, 2013

Hello as with the rest of us Job Seekers many of us will be attending several job fairs and interviewing soon. I feel as though it would be a good idea of compiling a list of "buzz words" that will help you stand out from the rest and say those key words the interviews are searching for. Some that I can think of right away are:

(I am a science teacher so I am one-sided, but add whatever your subject pertains to)

Blooms Taxonomy
    Critical thinking
    New Generation Science Standards
    Common Core
    Integration of technology
    Diversity
    Student-oriented
    Student-lead
    Cooperation with colleagues and special ed teacher
    Critiquing yourself
    ......Any else?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2013

Interviewers ARE NOT looking for candidates who can 'say' buzzwords. Instead, it's important to know who you are as an educator, your philosophy, how your education and experience would benefit a school...
    Reflect upon whatis it that drives you as an educator; what is it that gets you out of bed in the morning, excited to engage your students in; what about teaching, education and learning ignites a passion in you? I very much doubt it's buzzwords.

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Apr 8, 2013

Buzz words will not make you stand out since they are, well buzz words and commonly used. Instead, understanding what the buzz words mean as well as how you implement them within instruction will make you stand out. Many people know the buzz words, few are able to prove how they effectively use them in the classroom

5. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Apr 8, 2013

Well of course I understand what they mean and how to implement them. I guess buzzwords was a poor choice of words on my part. I guess I was mostly leaning towards topics to integrate while speaking with an interviewer.
    I am a science teacher and should have knowledge of the up and coming new generation science standards.
    I should also have projects and examples of how my students will use critical thinking in my classroom.
    Poor choice of words on my part.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 8, 2013

I agree with the others. I wouldn't go out of my way to mention any kind of "buzzwords" without the interviewer bringing them up first. Those you listed are things that will probably be asked.

The interview I had definitely mentioned inclusion students and while you mention working with the special ed teacher make sure you can talk about what you would do on your own. How will you differentiate(definitely a buzz word) for those students.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Apr 8, 2013

NY is big on the new common core changes and will definitely be asking about that. Engagement as well as scaffolding is big in my district...for all subjects

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 8, 2013

Proficiency-based (rather than standards-based, but actually the same thing) is big in my region right now.

9. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 8, 2013

My former P needed to hear RTI. He really was all about buzzwords. Very sad.

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Apr 8, 2013

I would be more interested in hearing specific examples of practice than the buzz words. For example, if you are asked a question about classroom management, provide some examples from your own teaching that support how your plan plays out on a day to day basis. If you haven't had your own classroom yet, be very specific as to how it would look. You can obviously use buzz words within your responses, but just make sure you are substantiating them with evidence!