Interview attire

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ACBio, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ACBio

ACBio Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Do I NEED to wear a jacket for a summer interview if I wear a nice blouse/non-t-shirt top and a professional-looking pair of pants/skirt and nice shoes? I just worry that I will look nervous if I am really just sweating from the jacket!

And if it's OK to not wear a jacket, can I wear a sleeveless top (not something with straps or strapless, of course!) as long as it is not too casual-looking?

3. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 1, 2009

Yes, wear the jacket. You can hang it in the car and put it on right before you go in and take it off when you get back to your car.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

This has been debated back and forth several times on this board. Some say yes and some say no. I live in TN and prior to that S. FL. I wear a short sleeved top under my jacket and I wear slacks. I only put on the jacket before I go in and take it off when I leave.

The other day when I went to go interview I saw lots of young women wearing jackets but also saw some in nice dresses. Honestly, when I think about it I see more jackets than anything else.

I guess the key is to know the area you are interviewing and whether everyone else is wearing a jacket...You don't want to look too casual and everyone else is dressed up. But you have to do what you feel comfortable with Good luck!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

In the Tri-State area, I would say wear a suit.

The administration offices should be air conditioned, so it really isn't a big deal.

Besides, it's August... you want to use every single little thing you can to have an edge on the competition.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2009

It depends on what area you're in and what you're comfortable in. IMO If you're in the south in the summer, I'd wear a summer jacket or a 3/4 sleeve jacket.

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

You will get varying opinions on this site. But, my philosphy is to always err on the side of more professional, than less. Meaning do the whole suit, not just part of the suit.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 1, 2009

Very good point. In my summer interview last year I blasted the AC in my car and wore a camisole under my jacket. Obviously, I left my jacket in the backseat until I got to the interview.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I did the same thing. You can change your attire under the suit jacket to accomodate the heat. You don't have to wear a traditional long sleeve button down. You can wear a short sleeve shirt, or a tasteful camisole. It makes all the difference in the world.

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

I'm in southern California. I wear a nice short sleeved dressy top, and long slacks and flat dressy shoes. Sometimes I wear suit capris with a top and flats. I do have a spring/fall jacket and a winter jacket/suit skirt, but when it is 100 degrees out, a jacket looks ridiculous in my opinion!

11. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I agree that it really depends on where you live. I would personally opt for the jacket since others will probably be dressed up. I do think that a nice blouse and slacks/skirt is fine as well, but I would never do the sleeveless top. Even though it's a nice top I would think that would borderline inappropriate dress for an interview. After all, many of the schools around here do not even allow teachers to wear sleeveless blouses to work. Good luck!

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

Sleeveless blouses would be a no-no for an interview here as well. I interviewed in the summer three years ago and wore a suit with a nice summer blouse. The principal and asst principal were in shorts and t-shirts but I didn't feel silly. It showed I took the time to make myself presentable. They offered me the job two weeks later so I don't regret my choice of clothes. I was HOT and uncomfortable but that sometimes is the way it is with a summer interview. An hour of discomfort is worth it to me to get a job and enjoy the rest of my summer. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

13. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

:agreed:, especially on the no sleeveless to interviews.