Interview attire

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sciencegurl, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Question for you all. I have an interview tomorrow (my third so far, maybe the lucky one??). Anyway, for the past two interviews I've worn charcoal grey pinstriped pants and a bright fuchsia shirt with a charcoal grey suit jacket. I was thinking of wearing a floral summery dress tomorrow (very teachery--sleeves, ties in the back, knee length)) with nylons and pumps. Do you think the dress would be too informal?? The suit is dark, but with the pink top, it's not too wintery. Anyway, just thought I'd ask if anyone wears/wore a dress to an interview.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

Around here, the suit would be a better choice, but it's regional... where do you live?

And best of luck!

4. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I am wearing a suit to mine today.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

Suits are expected in PA too. Keep your jacket in the car until the last minute.

6. slajoyintexas

slajoyintexas Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I think the dress would be too informal, especially for high school.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

I'm wearing a suit to mine today and it's supposed to be a scorcher here.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

I think a dress is probably too informal, but a more summery, but still business appropriate skirt and a coordinating jacket would work. To one interview, I wore a black skirt with a bit of flare to the cut from Ann Taylor with a white tweed jacket and a black and white shell. I felt it was successful because nobody on the panel that interviewed me was wearing a suit, so I felt appropriately professional without feeling stuffy.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in though, as long as it presents a positive, confident professional image and a bit of your personality too. But, I do think that florals are not perhaps confident enough.

Like Alice said, it is regional. Most people where I live seem to stick to the plain black suits, but the principals and interviewers are not usually very formal. I think in this scenario, you have a bit of leeway to stand out from the crowd of crows.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2009

I would probably go for the suit also. Good luck!

10. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I've heard mix things about dress but one of the consistencies has been that you need one article to help you stand out whether it be a bright (but not obnoxious) color, pin, interesting necklace, etc.

In Ohio suits are generally worn but the color can really vary. I have a charcoal pinstripe skirt suit, brown pantsuit and brown skirt with a white jacket that has brown detailing. Lately I've been going with the white coat set as a.) it's hot out and looks more summery and b.) secretly I hope they remember the white coat and think, "Let's hire her!"

Sometimes I'll wear shoes that coordinate other times not. Yesterday I had burgandy flats on with a turqouise top and got compliments from several of the panel members.

Most importantly, whatever you wear, wear it well!

11. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 16, 2009

I wore a skirt suit to my "first interview" with the district I just got hired at...and the second "final interview" I wore a dress..but it wasn't like the summery type..I was a "businessy" looking dress...let me see if I can find an example:

Mine was pretty much the same as this..except mine had a black blouse on top instead of white, and the dress came down closer to the knee (which is weird considering i'm 5'7")...but I got hired! I'm about an hour and a half out of Chicago.

http://www.maurices.com/images/WW_1_g_036_03.jpg

Hopefully that picture will work.

12. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I wore a fusia button down shirt tucked into a navy pencil skirt. I've done the suit thing, but I feel so much more comfortable in the shirt and skirt. And I got the job so it must have been appropriate.

13. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go with the suit. Do you wear pantyhose with shirt suits, or not??

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

I do.

15. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 16, 2009

My Uncle is a principal, he told me suits are a must. It is more professional and takes note of those who don't. He once interviewed someone and asked them to come for a demo lesson the next day. Well the woman came in for day two of the interview process with jeans and tank top on... he sent her home!

When I was interviewing I went in a skirt-suit. It was black and I wore a white shirt underneath. The next year I went in to interview for a different school and I wore a white blouse and skirt. I'd opt for the suit rather than the dress.

Best of luck :)