Interview Attire

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by enseigner, Jun 7, 2006.

1. enseigner

enseigner Rookie

Jun 7, 2006

I have lined up a few interviews for part-time teaching positions this summer. The last interview I went on was to a non-profit educational institution and when I got there the first thing the interviewer said was "wow, an interviewee wearing a suit". I responded, "well, I didn't know what you would be wearing and wanted to play it safe" which made her laugh and broke the ice.

I have another interview for a part-time teaching position this summer at another place and am wondering what would be an appropriate way to dress? I thought I would tone it down this time because I felt a bit overdressed at my last interview. It's not a full-time or even long term commitment which is why I'm unsure at this point.

Any thoughts?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2006

Wear the suit but be prepared to peel off the jacket? Suit jacket, nice pants, nice dressy t-shirt?

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2006

My advice is to wear a suit to any interview. Nobody will think the worse of you for it. OTOH if you under dress it might cost you the job.

Now, if you don't care if they hire you or not, or you are in the driver's seat and are actually interviewing them, wear whatever you want. I have actually done this, showing up for an interview for a professional job wearing old jeans and a tee shirt. But then I knew they were specifically after me and the only real question was how much money it would take.

Then there was the phone interview where they made an offer and had no idea what I would look like until the day I started work...

Bottom line, wear the suit.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2006

Even when I was the one GIVING the interviews, I wore a suit. It looks professional!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2006

My advice-- Always, always look professional. Regardless, if you want the job or not. If you care enough to interview and make an impression, then by all means make it a good impression.

7. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 7, 2006

Definitely wear the suit! When I was interviewing I couldn't believe some of the things other interviewees were wearing! Revealing tops, short skirts...:eek: All the previous posters are right. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed.

8. enseigner

enseigner Rookie

Jun 7, 2006

In the back of my mind I had a feeling I should stay professional, I appreciate the feedback. But after reading that last message I'm laughing because by "toning it down" I meant going with a type of casual-Friday look ... I couldn't imagine showing up in beachwear or street clothes!! :p

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2006

You mean you won't show off your forty-five navel rings? Why, that's... that's... that's un-Californian, that's what that is!

10. read_2_em

read_2_em New Member

Jun 8, 2006

Proper Attire for Interview

During student teaching, my supervising teacher told me that when I went on interviews to always wear black, grey, navy or dark brown. It doesn't matter what time of year it is.

Something else she told me was to always wear dressy shoes and no perfume. The interviewer may not like your toes or perfume. (lol)

Anyway, I would still wear the suit. Remember, you are dressing for the job you want.:)

Thanks to my supervising teacher, all of my interviews went well. I was asked to teach at more than 3 of the schools that interviewed me, which left me to pick the one I wanted.

Good Luck

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2006

In line with TG's comment, you might want to remove the stud from your tongue before the interview, if you have one...

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2006

enseigner, it was clear that I was being quite silly, wasn't it?

(Having been chastened elsewhere, I'm feeling distinctly nervous.)

13. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

this is so funny...Also, don't forget to cover up your tattoos with concealer!

14. enseigner

enseigner Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

I have none of the above ... sheesh, I sure seem way too boring to be a Southern Californian but I swear I'm not an imposter! :rolleyes:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2006

Truth be known, enseigner, that makes two of us. I'm such a poor excuse for a native Southern Californian, I'd rather wear sweaters than shorts!

(But I am struggling not to make an inappropriate pun based on Malcolm's post. Ahemmm <cough, cough>.)

enseigner, in what sort of clothes do you feel most confident and able to take charge? That's probably what you should wear. Especially if that fits the specifications outlined above.

16. swsmith63

swsmith63 Rookie

Jun 9, 2006

nailing the interview???

I have been on 4 interviews in the last four weeks. I dress up-suit and all-and I feel like I look and act professionally. My credentials are fine, my portfolio is short and to the point, but nice to look at.
    I answer the questions to the best of my ability, and still I am not getting the jobs. I am a fairly popular substitute in my area, but I am trained to teach! What could I be doing wrong in these interviews? Any feedback would be much appreciated.:confused:

17. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Go for the suit!

=] Hannah

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2006

Do you KNOW that you don't have the job, or are you still waiting to hear? IF you're not sure, send another followup letter, reminding them what a wonderful canididate you are.

Hit our "Interview" thread. Maybe there's something there that will help?

19. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 2, 2006

I'm from NY and the school I went to drilled in into us that we MUST wear a suit to an interview and NEVER the same suit if you're going to a 2nd or 3rd interview. I went o NC for a job fair and out of about 50 applicants that were there I was 1 of 3 who was a suit. I couldn't beleive people were showing up to job fair and meeting w/principals in poo shirts and dress pants.

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 2, 2006

Last month, there was a HUGE job fair here, and my community college sent hundreds of our students down there to apply for jobs, all kinds of jobs. We told them to dress for a business interview and to bring a resume.

When I got down there, people (not just our students) had been standing in line for six or seven hours, in the blazing heat. I saw to my horror that probably half of them were wearing Daisy Dukes, tank tops, wife-beaters, cargo shorts, etc, and few people had ANYTHING in their hands, which meant no resume.

The professors were taking turns, stationed at the door. When each candidate FINALLY got that far (after hours and hours and hours of standing in that hot, hot line) everyone who was not properly dressed for a business interview, resume in hand, was turned away.

Heh.

I guess it all "boils" down to this: How badly do you want this job?

Hundreds of our students were hired. You know, the ones who FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS AND DRESSED ACCORDINGLY. The others didn't deserve a job there.

If they can't follow those simple directions, what proof would a prospective employer have that they can follow directions after being hired?

I repeat: Heh.