Interview Attire

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 22, 2010

What is the proper interview attire to wear for a public school teaching job? I live in Texas where it is VERY hot, but I still want to look professional for when I go on interviews.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

I would wear slacks, a bright colored shirt, and maybe a 3/4 length suit jacket. Good luck!! I'm in TX too and this has usually worked well for me.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I would definitly go with a suit. I know its hot and it stinks, but just wait to put your suit jacket on when u step out of the car. Most schools are air conditioning so it will be comfortable. If you get really hot, you could take it off. Just make sure you have a professional looking blouse or button up on under your jacket.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I'm in S.Calif where it's hot and I have always worn a short sleeved suit jacket (kind of feminine puffy sleeved look). Find them in the career section of large department stores. :)

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

It was over 100 degrees at my last interview. I wore a dress (with nylons) and a suit jacket. I was a bit warm, but it paid off.

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

I'm firmly in the "suit and pantyhose" camp.

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

Dress to impress... without a doubt, you need to wear a suit of sorts.

10. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I don't think you HAVE to wear a suit. I've gotten a job both years I was looking (once at the last minute, once very early in the summer) and I didn't wear a suit either time. I looked nice and professional, but I wasn't wearing a suit.

I've tried on oodles of suits and I just can't find one to flatter me, and I'm wary of buying something that sorta fits and having it altered.

The most important thing is that you need to feel CONFIDENT in what you wear. If you're not comfortable in a suit (as I am not), find something else that makes you feel and look good, powerful, and awesome. Err on the side of being too dressed up, even if your interview panel is wearing jeans, as mine was.

Also, I'm in Texas too and only 1 out of 4 schools I interviewed at had their A/C turned on during the interview! Make sure you start your car and get the A/C going before you get in so that you won't get hit with that wall of heat and start sweating before you've even left your house. I did this at my last interview and had the A/C on so high that I was actually FREEZING on the way there, but it kept me cool all the way across the parking lot and until I got into the building!

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

You know, I live in Houston, which has high temps AND very high humidity, so it feels twice as hot.

I could play the "It's Texas (or wherever) and it's hot" card, too, and dress in comfy clothing, but I don't because we have air conditioning in Texas. No AC in your car? Leave the jacket off until you get out of your vehicle.

I wear a nice pants suit when I go to interviews, because I think it is better to be a bit overdressed than underdressed. And, you just look more serious about snagging the job.

Seriously, have you ever heard of anyone who failed to get a job or make a good impression because they showed up well-dressed?

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

:thumb: Great advice!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

I'm in the NYC metro area, as is Alice. You can't go wrong with a suit, but a tailored dress, or skirt and top with a cardigan or dress slacks with blouse works as well. I'd keep your 'basics' neutral with just a pop of color in the top (example: tan skirt and jacket with a blue shell, black pants and cardigan with pink top...) Closed toe shoes. Subdued nail enamel color or just natural with a clear coat.

14. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I agree with czacza. A suit is never too much, but it's not the only possibility!

By the way, it took me about six tries to type your username correctly. My left hand was just not having that c-z combination!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

:lol: It's my family nickname!!

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

Competition for jobs is tough so you want to out shine everyone else for sure. I wouldn't care if it was 100 degrees, I'd be in professional attire. A linen or cotton suit would be cool and professional looking.

Good luck.

17. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jul 23, 2010

I agree with this. I don't have a suit, and since I don't have a job, I can't afford one right now. I will eventually get one, but right now I can't spend the money. I wore dress slacks and a white sweater from Express that had a deep V in the front and back, with a (nice and high) white camisole underneath and pretty accent jewelry. When I walked in the secretary commented on how nice I looked and that made me feel much better!

18. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

19. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2010

I understand the difficulty of wanting to look the part but lacking the funds to do so! I have found a great number of very professional attire at the Talbots Outlet near my home. I was never a Talbots shopper until I visited the outlet. Very reasonably priced. Their clothes are a bit similar to Ann Taylor; however, Talbots goes up to a size 20 so it can fit different shapes and sizes. :)

Like CzaCza suggested, a cardigan over a dress is a good idea too and can look amazingly professional.

I also have some wonderful colleagues who do wonderful things with SCARVES. They make an otherwise plain outfit really stand out and shine. Sadly I lack this fashionista quality! :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I think you could dress professional without the suit. I would hate to go into an interview sweating like a stuck pig just to say I was in a suit.

There are lots of great professional dresses and summer type suit outfits.

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Ross has some cute stuff - and very cheap!

22. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 23, 2010

I live in the Central Valley in Ca. It's blazing! Thank goodness it's a dry heat.
    For interviews, I usually wear a pair of tweed pants or a tweed skirt (lightweight), a cardigan in a flattering shade (lavender or cornflower blue) and brown high heels. I always feel better when I add some nice, coordinating jewelry with pearls. I also make sure my camisole has a satin or lace trim to make it look a little nicer.
    If you have a suit and you aren't going to be miserable in it, I say go for it. I think there a lot of other options out there as well. The important thing is to feel confident and not focus on being too trendy.

23. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I live in TX too and wore a suit WITH NYLONS to all my interviews. The last one was last week (It was 100 degrees). That's the one I got. There was a very nice looking lady in a pantsuit with short sleeved blouse that went before me. No job for her. Coincidence? Well, probably. But play it safe.
    -Ali

24. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I also wore nylons to my last interview; I got the job. It was 100 degrees out, the school was probably 79-80 degrees. I lived. :cool:

25. whyowhy116

whyowhy116 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Wear a suit. Everyone I've ever seen coming out of interviews is wearing a suit - except for a girl that thought that a skin tight white tank top and crocheted vest and short skirt was appropriate:eek:...but I digress.... Teaching is a professional position, you are interviewing with others that are likely wearing suits and you DON'T want to be the worst dressed in the room. When I used to interview potential employees (in my past career life) if they were dressed worse than me, I noticed! I was generally turned off if someone didn't bother to put on a suit (skirt or pant is fine, however skirt suits REQUIRE nylons) If your overdressed, so what. I have been in for only 1 interview where I was overdressed. (P was wearing slacks and polo shirt) Your going to represent the school (hopefully) so you'll need to dress the part. Save the dresses and cardigans for back to school nights ;) I wear a black all season pantsuit with a crisp colorful sleeveless blouse and some fabulous feel good jewerly and open toed low heels. Best of luck to you!

26. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 24, 2010

Wear a suit. Take off the jacket when you get inside, after meeting with administrator. Or you could wear a nice blouse and a skirt with nice dressy sandals. That is what I wore on my 1st interview and got the job! I live in TX too...it is unbearable right now :eek:

27. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

The principal was wearing jeans at my interview. (I live in an area where Wranglers, boots, and a western-style button-up shirt are considered dressed-up.) :D However, I made a good impression. It told them I was someone who was willing to go beyond the bare minimum, which is very true.

28. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I am in NY- and always go with suit and nylons.

29. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 25, 2010

A long skirt and nice top would also be appropriate. We often interview women in linen suits, skirts & tops, or pants whose professionalism shows no only in dress, but in the interview itself. Although looking nice is important, it is more important that you have answers for the questions on discipline, planning, curriculum, and the like. As someone stated earlier, wear something that makes you feel confident, and practice answering some questions with a friend or loved one.

30. ladybug3

ladybug3 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I wore dress pants and nice blouse to my interview and got the job offer the next day. It was well over a 100 degrees here and I could not do the jacket. I did see the next interviewee behind me in flipflops, capris and Tshirt. Obviously, that didn't work out since I got the job. But that's just an interview no-no around here. It's hot here but you still need to look like you are putting forth effort.

31. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

congrats on the job and it is ridiculous that someone would go on in interview in capris,t-shirts, & flip flops.