Interview Attire - No Air Conditioning and over 100

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l3tswryt, Jun 27, 2012.

1. l3tswryt

l3tswryt New Member

Jun 27, 2012

I have an interview this Friday for a local private school that is not air conditioned (I learned this when I went to drop off my application packet). I would normally wear my suit with a bright colored tank underneath. However, my town is currently under a heat and humidity advisory and it is forecasted to be over 105 on Friday. Should I stick with the suit (because that is all my professors preached: wear a suit and only a suit), or find something else.?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

Suit!

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

Depends on where you live. If you are in the Great Plains, then something conservative, professional and for hot weather. A suit would be too much!

5. l3tswryt

l3tswryt New Member

Jun 27, 2012

Louise B. -
    I live in the St. Louis area

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

Being in the city might make a difference. What about wearing a very nice shirt/top/sleeveless whatever under the jacket. Once you walk in, you could discard the coat? Just a thought. I live in a rural area and a suit is NEVER needed for an interview regardless of the time of year. It does look nice but I don't think it necessarily gets you the job!

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

The interview wont be longer than a half hour..suck it up and don't take it off unless they tell you to..I still wouldn't. I did a demo lesson in 90 degree heat...and kept the jacket on...it is what it is.

8. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Have to agree with Diva. Suck it up and deal with it. In this job environment, you have to do whatever it takes to get the job. If that means wearing a suit in 100 degree weather, so be it. Sometimes, the difference between you getting the job and someone else comes down to something as miniscule as you not wearing a suit. It may sound ridiculous, but you never know what's running through that person's head who is interviewing you.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

Wear the suit.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

I don't own a suit and have never worn one to an interview. . .

Are you a female? What about a knee length skirt, sleeveless or spaghetti strap shirt, with a jacket or cardigan over it. Don't take the jacket off. It's almost a suit.

Best luck!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 27, 2012

People always say "suit!" but I'm not sure I agree 100%, I think it's more a regional thing. I wore a suit to my first job interview, but a dress to my second a few years later. Today I had to swing by school to sign some papers and there were two women waiting to interview, no suits, just nice dresses.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Suits are so, so unnecessary here...and I think it's so silly that someome might have a mark against them for not wearing one when there is a heat advisory and no air conditioning. Silly as in crazy!

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I definitely think it depends and is regional. When I interview in the more Northern part of the state I always wore a full, traditional suit. In the southern part of the state I wore pants/skirt and a jacket but it wasn't a suit. For the job I was just hired for I wore black pants, a grey and white shirt, and a pink 3/4 sleeve jacket.

In KY I wore a lot more dresses and skirts and nice shirts.

My personal philosophy is better overdressed than under dressed :)

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

I agree that it is regional but since she said she would normally wear one then she should.

I live in Ny...you wear a suit..that being said, I interviewed yesterday and one of the ladies before me was wearing a dress and FLIP FLOPS?!? I don't know but they picked my resume out of hundreds of applicants...I'm not showing up in flip flops!

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I saw one girl before me this year wearing a mini-skirt, fitted t-shirt, and strappy sandals :whistle: I didn't get the job but I'm just hoping I didn't lose out to her!

16. Sweets2005

Sweets2005 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I would wear a suit no matter what- the weather, the region, whatever. A suit always looks more professional, even if everyone in my region wears something more casual, I would still be the one in the suit. As for the heat, I would wear my normal suit and shirt underneath, but not a tank in case you do get hot and need to remove the jacket, you won't be left sitting there in a tank top.

17. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

I would heistate to wear anything less than a suit. You should be allowed to take off the jacket. I am sure it will be offered. While I never take advantage of that, I would in this case.

So know what is on underneath it. And make sure you look just as awesome.

If you are a woman, I would still wear a conservative dress, Again if there is a jacket know what is underneath.

I would still wear top notch clothes no matter what. There will be fans inside.

As far as regionally goes, that is a MYTH!

I spent 30 years in So Cal. I saw more laid back interviewers there. In the midwest, a suit is mandatory.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2012

Around here, under those circumstances I would wear a professional looking black pencil skirt with a sleeveless shell of some sort (Loft usually has nice, dressier ones that are still cool and cotton, but not knit) and then a 3/4 black sleeve cardigan. Greys would probably work too, but sticking to traditional suiting colors helps it stay a bit dressier than just business casual.

Unless you live in a must-wear-suits area, I think an outfit like this would look more polished than a wilted, sweaty suit.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Regional might not be the best word because we tend to think in terms on larger regions (South, North, etc.), but I certainly think there are different expectations in different "areas". I've been to interviews, I've seen interviewees before and after my slot, and I've interviewed others...and I've never seen a suit.

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 27, 2012

SUIT. I was so nervous about sweating in a suit during an interview once since I knew it would be hot that I put an undershirt in the freezer the night before. I don't think it did anything for me though and I don't think it was still cold after wearing it for a few minutes. I am a man, this is the kind of silly thing I tend to do.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

^ LOL! :)

22. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

Wear the suit.

A good interviewer will recognize the situation and will invite you to take off the jacket. The interviewer will be just as hot I would think there would a least be a fan on the room.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 27, 2012

FWIW, I interviewed a group of candidates today for a college level managerial position.

The woman who got the job was wearing a red sweater and brown pants.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

Just as a side note, even when I was going on interviews in 95 degree heat with no air conditioning, no one ever invited me to take off my jacket. I never realized how weird that was until this thread! If I'm ever on an interview committee, something to keep in mind.