Interview at same school as previous interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Jul 20, 2010.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I just finished my M.Ed. and got certified (since my bachelors was unrelated). I have applied to districts around Texas. I've had 5 interviews in different districts and no offers.

I got a call today for an interview tomorrow at the same school that I interviewed at a month ago (for a different position). Is this a good sign? I thought the first interview went terribly, but would they call me back for a different position if it was that bad of an interview? I'm starting to freak out about finding a job and this strange situation is making it worse.

Some background, I'm certified EC-4 and 4-8 generalist and 8-12 social studies, but I student taught in 1st and 3rd.

3. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Of course it's a good sign that they called! At the time of your first interview, you may not have been what they were looking for but now, for this new position, you might be a nice fit. Good luck!

4. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Thanks for the reassurance. I just thought it was strange since the last interview was for a position that I would be much more interested in (5th) and this time it's the one grade I have no experience (student teaching, fieldwork, observation) in, Kinder.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 20, 2010

What part of Texas are you in?

6. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I'm in Houston, but the interview is in Central TX. I applied to a lot of districts outside of Houston because the job market stinks here.

7. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Good luck! I think it is a great sign. I was told by a P that the reason a job opening filled so quickly is that they had someone in mind that they had already interviewed. Maybe this is similar? I hope so. What school district in Central TX? I'm in Dallas and we don't have a lot going on up here. Bummer for me.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

Sounds good!

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

Good luck! You obviously had something that intreiged them to consider you for this position. I am certified EC-3rd grade and no one i graduated with had any experience in kinder which i thought was very strange. Many of my friends have found themselves landing jobs in kinder even though they had no experience. I believe you will be able to pick it up fast though. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

10. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 21, 2010

The interview was in Killeen ISD. This interview went much better than the last one. However, I overheard them talking right before my interview, and I think they have already made a decision before talking to me. I hate being the absolute LAST interview. Also, I do not recommend driving 3.5 hours each way for a 10 am interview and back home all in the same day :(

11. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I sent a thank you email since they said that they would be making a decision today and the P responded with "Thank you rice07owl." That was her entire email. I take it that is a bad sign???

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

I'd be glad the P even responded...my own P doesn't always acknowledge my thank yous! :lol:

Keep your chin up, until you hear something different!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

I'd be happy that the P even responded. It could be that they didn't have much time, but wanted to respond anyway.

14. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I am glad that she acknowledged it, but at the same time they were supposed to make a decision today. I was the last interview at 10 am.

I'm just really agonizing over what I overheard right before my interview, that they had pretty much decided before they talked with me. This was my 6th interview and I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever make it off the "short list" and get hired somewhere. Plus, driving for 3.5 hours for a job interview where they possibly already had someone else in mind is frustrating. Not as frustrating as the last interview at this school that lasted all of 10 minutes... after a 3.5 hour drive.

15. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

What districts did you try to apply to in houston?

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 26, 2010

Were they interviewing for multiple positions? At my first job- we'd interview for many jobs the same day. The panel would generally be who was available and anyone directly involved with the person being hired. One day we did upper grades science, library and pre-k.

17. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 26, 2010

No. They were only interviewing for the kinder position. No word back, so I guess my inkling was right.

18. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I actually worked for Killeen ISD for the 2008/2009 school year. I quickly learned just from watching at my school that they tend to already know who they are going to hire before they even interview, like if its someone the admin already knows but they have to go through the motions of interviewing a certain number of people. It really sucks to have over heard that before your interview...they should have been more professional. But look at it in a positive way...Killeen isn't the greatest place to live. I much prefer Houston. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

19. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

I would be more concerned over the fact that the principal e-mailed you back and called you rice07owl.