Interview at a "traditional" school (Saxon, Spalding, back to basics) question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kassrose, May 23, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 23, 2010

Hey everyone,
    I'm interviewing at a traditional school this week. They are calling themselves a "back to basics" school. What does that mean? They use Saxon math and Spalding language arts. I am just looking for some insight. Has anyone work at a school like this? Pros/cons? I'm a pretty creative person so I am hesitant about the Saxon/Spalding since I know they are scripted.
    Thanks!

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 23, 2010

If I had to guess, it sounds more like a teacher-centered than a student-centered school. I would investigate their website to find out as much information about their philosophy as I could.

I've never heard of a school call themselves "back to basics."

4. awreed

awreed New Member

May 24, 2010

Saxon Math Does Allow For Creativity

Before I waste your time with meaningless advice, what grade levels will you be teaching?

AWR

5. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 24, 2010

I've been to a school that sounds similar to this. They focused on the "Three R's" Reading, Writing and Math. I was a science/social studies teacher at this school. Little to say, I was not a big fan. :D My kids had no idea what country they lived in, or even that the earth rotated around the sun (and not vice-versa.) It was tough to teach the concept of what a country is, when students have never learned this before sixth grade. I had no background knowledge to build on.

The schools did have relatively high reading and math state test scores. I am a bit biased, being a science/social-studies teacher! :) It wasn't all bad, just not my cup of tea.

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 24, 2010

Sounds similar to my school (only our test scores are less than stellar).

We use Saxon Math which I do enjoy sometimes due to it's repetitive nature. I also wish though that the lessons built on each other a little more consistently (one day we should learn telling time to the hour, then sometime within the next week we need to tell it to the quarter hour instead of 2 months later).

We use a basal program. Guided reading is not the preferred method of instruction. Whole-class instruction is generally pushed along with 30 minutes of intervention a day (centers, small groups, etc.) Differentiation is something that is considered "new and unproven."

I don't particularly think that it's best for students but it caters to the static and slow-to-change faculty. I'm still the "newbie" so when I try to implement something new even just in my classroom, it's discouraged.

Not the happiest place to work but I assure you, there are ways to work around it. It is a job and it is experience, beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

7. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 24, 2010

It's a brand new school, so if hired I would have my pick of grade levels. Generally, I prefer 2-4. I would be willing to teach kinder, for example, if it allowed for slightly more creativity.

What do you suggest?