Interview and Job offer all in an hour

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Tutor, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

I had an interview today for a middle school spec ed position. I got there to see another interviewee waiting. They interviewed 4 people, I was last. They asked me to wait in the office after the interview. I was whisked to the superintendent's office and he offered me the job. Or should I say he said "if I offered you the position would you accept?" and I said, very hestitantly, I guess. Then we walked back to the principal's office and he told them he offered me the job.

Next I was walked up to the classroom and the spec ed director was telling me lots of things, good things. Everything sounds really wonderful....EXCEPT contracted hours are 7 - 3 with a teacher teaming hour every morning and I start tomorrow.

As a former stay at home mom that only worked 2 days a week last year, I'm freaking out. My kids don't start school until Wed, school starts for this job Mon. Mommy guilt has set in about not being there on the first day for the send-off. Mommy guilt is scaring me.

I have my Catholic job, 4 days a week, for low pay but I really don't know what to do.

Where are my stay at home mom's who've returned to work? Help me out!

3. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

I promise it will be ok. Kids adjust. Yours will reap many benefits as a byproduct of your job.They will learn to be more organized, they will appreciate the time you spend with them, they will learn how to pitch in around the house, all in all they will become more responsible. It's all good! Congratulations on your new job!!!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 21, 2008

Talk about hitting the ground running! I'm so happy for you. Your kids will be fine.

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

I have mommy guilt all the time, but according to my kids, it is silly.
    One thing I try my best to do is to have all my work caught up so that the weekends from Fri night until Mon, are entirely theirs. I have to make sure nothing infringes on that time, though occasionally it happens and they have been great about adjusting.

Do what your heart tells you, and leave guilt out of the decision. If you think this is an opportunity that will ultimately benefit your family, and it is something you will be able to adjust to IN YOUR HEART, I say go for it!!!

One thing I finally realized is that my kids always love me, and it is not the quantity of time that matters, but how well you spend that time.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2008

Congrats on the job!! You will do just fine and your children will adjust.

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 21, 2008

I went back to work full time last year (after SAH for 3 years). I missed my ds's first day of kindergarten! My dh took lots of good pictures though and I was there for his first day of pre-K. My job is a 7-3 contract as well, but I love it and the pay is nice.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2008

I was a stay at home mom for 14 years before I got my first job. I was in school, so they got used to me being gone to class, but if they needed me, I skipped class. I can tell you the guilt was bad (but of course my kids were older) and I felt even worse when the youngest started to have issues and was getting into trouble a lot. Poor hubbie had to deal with it all (he works 3rd so I can work). But it has all worked itself out. My kids love to tell their friends I am a teacher, the friends know if they need help in social studies I will drop what I am doing to help, and my kids have gotten to job shadow me.....they think it is just so cool.

Your kids will get to that point, having a parent a teacher has its advantages you know!

You will be fine, they will be fine. My the lord bless you in your new job

9. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 22, 2008

First off, Congrats on the job! Secondly, I completely understand the mommy guilt aspect, but as previous posters stated your children will be fine and they may actually be pleased to see you are doing something you love. :)

10. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I went back to work last year after staying home for 9 years. It has been a huge adjustment, but getting better. It makes my children more responsible for their own stuff. They don't automatically assume that I am going to do it for them. Although your hours sound hard, I am sure you will be fine. Congratulations on the job! That is impressive that they hired you so quickly.

11. MAR29

MAR29 New Member

Aug 22, 2008

I think that kids learn to understand and adapt to the fact that mom has to work. Congrats! I'm a mother of two great boys who on the otherhand, feels guilty for not being able to find a teaching position.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

I was a sahm until my husband left me and I was forced to go back to work. I too, had mommy guilt, until my dad's aunt pointed something out to me.

The "olden days" are nothing like we make them out to be. Just because women didn't "work" doesn't mean they didn't work. She told me that even with my work schedule, I still had FAR more time with my kids then her mother ever had with her and her siblings, or that she had with her kids. There was just simply too much to do to keep a house running back then. The kids were often left unattended or with grandma somewhere in the yard, while mom did laundry with a washboard and tub, cooked food on a pot bellied stove, made bread (and everything else for that matter) by hand, scrubbed floors and walls with a nasty heavy mop that had to be wrung out by hand, sewed and patched clothes, darned socks, and, well, you get the idea.

Aunt May told me the only thing that's changed between then and now is that women are actually getting paid to work, and, it seems like we actually have more time with our kids. I felt much better about working after that.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

Congratulations on the job, Tutor!

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 24, 2008

Wow - that's fast! You will do fine and your kids will adapt quickly as well.