Interview already!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher2Be2007, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I haven't officially begun my student teaching (well I was in my teacher's classroom all week helping her set up and taking district training) and the kids start on Monday, however, I've already rec'd an email from another principal in the district requesting an interview! :) Now, that's the hard part! I FREAK OUT at interviews and I know I don't interview well, I haven't interviewed for a job in a very very long time. Plus I'm a career changer so the only teaching experience I have (will have) is student teaching. Which I'm assuming he must know since he had to pull my resume from the district website in order to get my information. He wants to interview me in a few weeks. I know it's a brand new school in a new development so they are nowhere near capacity yet. I honestly don't even know what grade I'll be interviewing for! :eek: I printed out the list of "possible" questions. Anyone have any suggestions/links to threads talking about scenario type questions?

TIA!

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

Well, here are the questions I was asked at my interview:
    Can you tell us a little about yourself?
    How would you describe standards-based teaching and learning?
    What do you consider your strength and weakness in teaching?
    What separates a good teacher from a great teacher?
    How do you plan to integrate technology into the curriculum?
    What questions do you have for us?

Hope that helps. Don't worry, I didn't think I did a great job on my interview (I only had 1) and I was hired the next day! My voice was shaky and I had to take a drink from my water bottle because my mouth was so dry! I contemplated telling them at the beginning that I was nervous, but decided not to. I'm glad I didn't because you didn't need half a brain to figure out how nervous I was.:haha: I think that they focused more on what I was saying than how I said it!

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 11, 2007

I downloaded and read the book by Waxler about Interviewing from this site for an interview I had last week. I have read other books but his was excellent. It has questions and hints on how to answer them. I also had my teaching portfolio with me. I passed the first round of interviews and was sent across the way to a second round. I meet with the superintendent Monday. I don't think it would have been possible without those tips from the book and the info on this site! Definitely read through the interview threads. Good Luck!:D

5. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

My suggestion would be to go out of your way to be an awesome student teacher. When I went in for my elementary certification internship (I'd already been teaching part time and had already interviewed and was on the future hire list for the district where I was interning) I had everyone flipping over me. I re-arranged my coop's room (she was wonderful and really open to anything I wanted to do), set up all learning centers (she'd never used them), stayed late, got there early, I even painted her classroom and did a mural on her wall. OK, so you don't have to go that far, but if you do an awesome job, you'll make an impact and what you can do in the classroom will speak for itself (I know I got bumped up the list because the Principal loved me so much). That way, when they ask you what they should know about you, you can say, "well, I'm afraid I don't interview as well as I could, but I think my accomplishments in so-and-so's classroom speak for themselves." Good luck! I'm sure you'll be great! :2up: