Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2009

I know you guys have probably already gotten a ton of advice, but I sat in on several interviews at my school yesterday and noticed something. We interviewed 6 different people and the one candidate that stood out was so passionate about teaching and just let that come through. She had examples of workstations (it was a Kinder position), a real positive personality, used anecdotes from her (limited) experience whenever she could.

I know sometimes nerves, or inexperience can really damper even very enthusiastic people - let it come through. She even had typos on her resume and left her last job because of creative differences but I think we are going to hire her anyway because her eyes lit up when she was talking about her previous class.

Just an observation.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

I was told that this is why I got my job offers, even the one solely from the screening interview with canned questions. Apparently, I convinced them that my drive and enthusiasm will make up for my lack of experience.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

Great advice! Thanks for posting!

5. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks for the post!!

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 9, 2009

Yes! Thanks for the post. I would love to go into my next interview with examples of things. I have a portfolio but I would like more.
    Do you think it would be appropriate to bring things like a take home game I made for students to do with their parents and a sample rubric I made for ELL student?

7. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 9, 2009

I completely agree. No matter how nervous I am, somehow I snap into "interview mode" the second I sit in the chair. I think that is why I made it to the final 2 candidates for this job I am waiting to hear back from. Being nervous and tense really can hurt you, unfortunately.

Another tip: Mention a BOOK or some type of professional literature you are reading. They probably will not ask you, but find some way to integrate it into your interview. I did this in my last interview and I could tell it really impressed the principal.

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

Kindercowgirl--Thanks for all the advice, you have been a great help!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks for the advice!

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks kindercowgirl!

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I agree. When I interview that's what I do, I talk about my kids and my class as much as possible. I don't practice answering interview questions, and I don't claim to know it all.

I truly do not believe that schools are looking for a perfect teacher, they are looking for passion and excitement about teaching. I know it's hard, resume after resume, interview after interview. Imagine how that effects your interviewing skills. Instead of thinking of the opportunities lost, imagine what you could do in a particular position.

12. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Jul 9, 2009

I agree with rachaelski. I think that a big mistake that beginning teachers in particular make (myself included at times) is beat ourselves up over not knowing everything. I think that showing enthusiasm, creativity, and dedication can go a long way. The hard part is not letting our nerves get in the way

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 9, 2009

Just met most of my staff. There is a good portion of our staff that are either brand new teachers or teachers with just one or two years experience. Our principal was very discriminating when hiring. I was told that each position had about 1000 teachers that applied from all over. WOW. Makes me feel really lucky to have a job. But in any case, these NEW teachers must have done something really right because they had to be up against some very experienced teachers. Let your personality and passion for teaching shine through and you will win the job eventually!

14. smalltowngal

Jul 9, 2009

SC~I learned that the entire 4th grade team at my school is new as well.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 9, 2009

Absolutely! 200 applicants - we hired 2 today - one with a year's experience (leaving a job under some adversarial conditions no less) and the other no experience-fresh out of school. Both were just very excited about teaching. They didn't have all the answers, but a really positive attitude about what they could bring to the table.

16. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

A faculty of inexperienced teachers? Sounds kind of scary to me. I know when I was new, I asked those who knew. Book knowledge is great and so is enthusiasm, but what if you have a situation that is something you aren't prepared for? Experienced teachers have "a bag of tricks" they can work from.
    It just seems it is not fair to experienced teachers who are older and not "the right fit".
    I guess you can tell which one I am.

17. smalltowngal

Jul 9, 2009

June~These teachers are new to the district, not necessarily new to teaching per say.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

It's not a faculty of inexperienced teachers - just 2 new teachers which our administration thought would not only bring in some fresh ideas, and also be "teachable" to how we do things on our campus. We didn't have any experienced teachers in the applicant pool who seemed qualified for these positions, except one who was extremely soft-spoken and desperate - just didn't seem like she fit in with the team and one when asked about a creative lesson she had done described a spelling activity with worksheets :eek:hmy:.

And I really only mentioned it because I know there are a lot of new teachers here looking and I thought it would encourage them that schools do hire without a lot of experience, if that passion is there.