Interview Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by INhunter, Jun 15, 2013.

1. INhunter

INhunter Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

So I have an interview next week. It is not my first teaching interview, but there's always hope it will be my last.

Can anyone here, especially if they have been on selection committees, give me some advice?

I know I should be researching the school's website and try and as much as I can about their mission, the mascot, etc...

One question in particular I have, is if it would be appropriate to ask for a tour of the school/the classroom. I feel that it would show more interest and desire on my part, but I am not sure if I should ask.

Any questions I should NOT ask or stuff I should not say? I know common sense tells me not to ask how much the salary is.

It's really appreciated any help that can be given.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2013

I would NOT ask for a tour because there are schedules to consider.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 15, 2013

Agreed. Typically, they schedule interviews back-to-back.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 15, 2013

The last question they generally ask is something along the lines of: "Do you have any questions for us?" Come up with a good question. Maybe something like: What type of training or professional development is offered for new teachers?

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2013

I always ask that and what kinds of duties and extracurricular activities are available for me to take on.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

Don't wear perfume. I was on an interview committee once in a very small conference room where a candidate wore so much perfume that I couldn't concentrate on what she said. I certainly didn't want to work with her in close quarters.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 15, 2013

Definitely have two or three questions to ask at the end. I always like to ask what they are the most proud of about their school.

Also, bring a pad and take some notes. It is always a small red flag when the candidate doesn't do this on the committees I've been on.

Remember to ask them what the next step is at the end.

Don't forget to send a brief email afterward to thank them for having you in.

Stuff like touring the school, salary, etc. is for later on in the process; not an initial interview.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jun 16, 2013

Be mindful of the way you end your answers. Be sure they're coming out like statements, and you're not using a question inflection. Also, don't ask if your response answered the question; just be confident that it did!

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 16, 2013

I usually ask what they like about working at their school, and what they think the biggest difficulty is for the teachers in their school.

11. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jun 16, 2013

I just hired a new teacher in my department and have sat through 15 interviews over the last couple of weeks. One recommendation I can definitely make is to provide as many concrete examples as possible when you respond to each question. The selection committee does not want to hear only about theory--they want to know how it will be applied in a classroom on a daily basis. I agree that you shouldn't ask for a tour of the building. They might build one into the interview, though. That's great that you have been researching the school. The more you can tie your responses into what the school is already doing, the better. Good luck!!