INTERVIEW ADVICE FOR K-5 RESOURCE ROOM TEACHER

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by colie, May 16, 2008.

1. colie

colie Companion

May 16, 2008

Hello All,

I hope your job searches are going well. Don't get discouraged yet, just when you least expect you may get a call!!

I have an interview for a k-5 resource room teaching position. I am looking for any advice. Mainly on the types of assessment I would use to measure student progress. Also I have background with using learning strategies in the resource room, what other methods should I have a wealth of knowledge on?

Also the school is asking that I have a lesson prepared for a k-5 resource room. To me that is so vauge, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for all of your help!! :D

3. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 17, 2008

I am not sure I can help. Just curious- do you have a special education degree? I am interested in applying for a resource postion but just have a k-9 certification. I have subbed quite a bit this year in resource rooms. I am actually subbing all day Tuesday for a K-5 resource teacher. She might be there but in meetings. Are there any specific questions you would like me to ask her if she is there on Tuesday?
    I guess I would read up or research differention and special education if it were me. Also, your teacher store in your area would probably have some good books on assessment for. I am sure it would have a lot to do with I.EP. goals being met. Do you have much experience with secial ed?
    A lesson prepared------I know the resource teacher in K-5 in the school I sub at has taken the regular teacher's spelling list and only has the resource students do the odd number instead of all of them. She also has her own set of reading books to work on certain skills with these students. Another resource teacher, uses lots of manipulatives-like pizzas to help them learn fractions.
    At this school, the resource teachers travel to different rooms and actually help the students in their original rooms but also pulls students throughout the day. One child has down syndrome, one has sydrome X, one is mentally challenged. I will be there Tuesday subbing again -if there is anything you want me to ask or look for. I hope this helped some.

4. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

May 17, 2008

Another adjustment the resource teacher made was to buy this special paper with lines that looked like this - - - - - - - - - - -. This paper helped the students space each letter on each line in order to write words with out bunching them all together.

5. colie

colie Companion

May 18, 2008

Trrpletsteacher thanks for your reply!

Yes, I am certified in students with disabilities and general education grades 1-6.

I've been a collaborative teacher in a day school for children with special needs, mainly autism spectrum disorders or multiple disabilities. From this experience, I have a wealth of knowledge about IEPs in terms of setting goals and objectives. In the past I have been an assistant in special ed as well.

The interview is at a very high performing school that recieves upwards of 500 applicants per opening. To be honest, I have this interview due to a contact I have in the district office. Otherwise it is impossible to get an interview in my area.

One question I have: What are some specific methods that teachers use to raise achievement scores from 2 to a 3/4 on state standards (NCLB).

To prepare I am going to read up alot of response to intervention, academic intervention services, and preventing academic failure. I know the district uses these models, so I plan to read enough about them to sound as I am an expert in the field.

Thank you four your ideas, they are helpful!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 18, 2008

For the lesson that you have to write up, if they didn't give you specific instructions for it, make it something that you are confident in teaching, LA, math, science, SS. Good luck!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 18, 2008

Response to Intervention seems to be getting pretty big these days...my school just started using it. My district also likes hearing things about brain based learning and using the multiple intelligences to teach all students.

A big thing for me when helping my reg ed students try to improve their scores on state tests (esp in terms of reading and writing) is modeling, showing them what specific scores look like (if you can get examples), and using a rubric to show them how things are scored. Maybe that can help you too:)

8. colie

colie Companion

May 18, 2008

Thanks leighbball!! 'Brain based learning' I like that. This district is also big on Dun and Dun's 5 learning styles and multiple levels of intelligence. Teachnology.com has a great rubric maker that I use. The problem is that I'm subbing so I don't have a class to use these materials with!! Hopefully soon though, I am keeping the faith!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 18, 2008