Interview #2

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Ms. I, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2006

I'm very prepared for interviews & usually know the types of questions they'll ask. But now, I've just been called back for a 2nd interview. I've never been on a 2nd interview w/ the same district for a teaching position before. What questions do they usually ask then & what should I bring?

3. Tinsley81

Tinsley81 Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

On a typical second round, it will be a bigger group than the first round (a selection of the teaching staff, or maybe the other teachers from that grade/department). Bring extra copies of your resume, transcripts and ref letters. Each interview I've been on, they've already had copies from the principal, but it shows you are prepared if they don't.

Questions are generally the SAME from the first round, all the typical questions, plus grade-specific, situational, or curriculum-based. (try to research what curriculum they use at the school/district).

This is a good time for the teachers you would be working with to see if your personality and teaching style would fit in (that could be what it comes down to...I had a colleague once who didn't get a job because "she was too much like another teacher on the team and they wanted more diversity") (maybe their excuse, but still!)

Good luck!! Search this thread for other second interview topics, there's been a lot of these postings.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

This is good news. They already saw something in you that they like. Good luck.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 25, 2006

Great! There will likely be a group and questions about teamwork, situational questions (which are often things that have actually happened to them), and sometimes they ask you semi-personal questions like your favorite book or personal hobbies/interests you would incoprporate into the classroom. Good luck!

6. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I was on an interview today and they stated they will be picking those they would like to interview a second time, by the end of the week. Why do schools do this? Is it common? Who would probably interview me during the second one? I was interviewed by the principal, the third grade teacher whose spot I would be taking (she is moving on up to fifth), and an IAT teacher. This school is small...just two teachers per grade level-K-6. Oh, and how fast were you called for a second interview, after the first, if you have had one? :confused:

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 26, 2006

The second interview type depends on the school and/or district. Some have had to do a mini lesson and others have an interview similar to the first just with new interviewers. Personally for both interviews I went to were different. For one the first was with an Asisstant Principal and another person that was similar to an assistant principal and the second was with the school's Principal. The other the first round was with the Principal and the second was with another teacher in the department I would be working in (I interviewed for High School positions). For your (amedinaoh) second question for me personally on the first mentioned interview I was contacted later that day and the second interview was conducted over the phone and I was offered the job the following work day. For the other interview the second interview was scheduled before I left the school and I was offered a position after the second interview in person before I left the school, on the same day as the other offer. Both of these schools seemed eager to secure the position so I don't know if this is typical or not, this will be my first teaching job. Good Luck!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2006

Thanks for your info guys! I had a 2nd interview this morning. I first interviewed w/ them exactly a week ago today & they called me just yesterday morning to set up today's interview (I don't know if I was called at the last minute or not, I found out that I was for the last interview time).

Before, there were several people. This time, it was only 2: the principal & VP (who were there the first time). So it was more relaxed. I had no idea what they'd ask the 2nd time around, but I brought notes for all the things I thought they'd ask. Their last question was: On a scale of 1-5, how would I rate myself regarding how much assitance I think I'll need from them regarding how to do paperwork, run meetings, etc. (5 being needing the most help).

9. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Jul 26, 2006

Thank you for your responses! I love being able to hear how different schools interview similiarly and differently. Helps me go in with my eyes wide open!