Intervention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Dec 22, 2018.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Dec 22, 2018

How do you determine appropriate intervention for your students?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 27, 2018

Many factors are involved.

Probably the most important factor to consider is time. It takes time away from the planned events to intervene, but on the other hand, not intervening eventually becomes a greater situation that takes even more time to resolve. I've learned not to over plan for my lessons; when the extra time is not needed, usually no lapse in time occurs, but if it does, it can be filled with standard spare time activities or a quick whole-class review.

A second factor: what to do with the rest of the class when you are assisting 1 or a few students. I find this is best resolved by early on establishing routines: the students routinely follow procedures while I assist the student(s) needing intervention. My favorite spot for this is a table located in the rear of the room, so as not to distract other students yet they are still visible to myself.

A major danger with teacher intervention is falling behind the long range schedule of lessons. In other words, it's essential not to hold the entire class hostage for just a few students. (Been there--done that). Intervention does not always mean the teacher meets with the students separately. Cooperative learning can provide needed support for students. Beginning a lesson with a quick review can provide an additional lesson for those needing it. Preceding independent practice with guided practice reinforces the lesson; (again, cooperative learning could be used here). Allowing students to ask questions or participate in a discussion during a lesson helps coordinate new learning with previous learning in each students brain; it also increases comprehension by hearing and verbalizing the lesson from different points of view. Something weird I've used, and it seems helpful, sometimes I'd make a Powerpoint for students to view independently; kind of along the lines of the old fashioned captioned filmstrips (of my school days in the 60's-70's). Another trick I've found is to add more a challenge to a lesson--great for cooperative groups or parent/child collaborative homework. In my experience, it adds a bit of novelty to the lesson and also causes the students' brains to more actively explore the concept.

Another major danger, in my opinion, is bombarding the student with the same old same old. If the approach isn't working, there's no guarantee that more of the same will suddenly begin working. I'd especially be cautious with assigning extra homework, even more so if the student is incapable of doing the assignment in the first place. This causes frustration and distress, but it also eliminates other essential activities that normally would occur during that time at home. I've had positive results from 1. adding novelty to the lesson, 2. adding other modes of learning, 3. adding a bit of humor, 4. teaching more with my ears than with my mouth; (when students explain their thinking, I see how close they really are to the goal or I find missing pieces to their previous learning).

CherryOak likes this.
  4. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Dec 31, 2018

What are we talking about? Reading? Math? Behavior? I have some of my favorite interventions in each area, and I typically go to one first when I find out what the need is. Then, as the child becomes more familiar with the intervention, or it does or doesn't work, we adjust as needed.