Intervention Series: Reading Recovery/Read 180/ Fountas and Pinnell's LLI

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by McKennaL, Feb 13, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 13, 2010

Would someone (with a LOT more knowledge than I) help me to understanding (and compare and contrast) Reading Recovery, Read 180, and Fountas and Pinnell's Leveled Literacy Interventions? (Are there others?

I am getting ready for the interviewing season..and want to have a grasp on these three that a mere website might not be able to offer.

Have you used one or more of them? How did you like them? Would you choose one over the other?

Thanks!

McKenna

3. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Feb 13, 2010

Reading Recovery

We used to have Reading Recovery in our school. Specially trained teachers pulled individuals out and worked with them. It seemed to work well but we dropped it when budgets became tight.

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 13, 2010

In my school, RR is done one on one, for 30 minutes every day. It is intense and effective, but the drawback is, unless you have a lot of RR teachers, you must limit the number of students that can be serviced.

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 13, 2010

Reading recovery is a very intensive one-on-one reading intervention. It involves a lot of training and also a coach for the RR teacher.

LLI is a 1 on 3 reading intervention. Less training necessary (I am not an official LLI teacher, but I have these materials and use them 3 out 5 of 5 days). It alternates between an instructional level book and a easy book and some writing time. There is also a lot of word work.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 13, 2010

5 teachers at my school are currently being trained in the LLI process. They attended a 2 1/2 day intense training session in Boston (we are in NY) in Jan. and will return in March for another 2 1/2 day training. They have received the kits and are expected to work with only 3 students who are at Levels 2 or 3 5 days a week for 35 minutes each day. They must keep records and must show what has been covered by their March training. It took the teacher I'm mentoring over 8 hours to set up her materials, paperwork, and files. When they have completed the training they will in turn instruct other teachers in the process. I was asked to attend but declined because I felt I only had about 3 years left in the district and wanted a younger teacher to go. The cost to the district was $2500 per person plus hotel, travel, and meals. We do not do Reading Recovery at my school.

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

I want to add to what I said earlier, both these interventions depend on running records to closely match instruction to student needs. If I was interviewing that is what I would focus on rather than knowing the specifics of a how a program works.