Interruptions!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by myKroom, Dec 4, 2006.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 4, 2006

This is my first year teaching and boy do I have a handful!! The biggest problem I am having is keeping my kids quiet while I am trying to teach! When I am introducing a new idea or a new letter I understand and don't have a problem with their enthusiasm and excitement!! I start getting frustrated when I begin explaining/showing them what to do. It's during those routine times, giving directions, sharing, etc. that it really bothers me. It doesn't matter the length of the lesson, it could be opening, a story, math, reading, etc. They constantly interrupt me, have side conversations, and play around with the kids near them. At least once a week I have to have a talk with them about how their interrupting is disrespectful to me, other teachers, and each other. I have tried enforcing consequences to individuals, I have tried enforcing consequences to the whole group...nothing seems to phase them. I have also tried some positive reenforcement but need some more ideas. If you have anything that may help, please let me know...Thanks a bunch!!

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

I just stop & say "when I am talking..." and the kids respond with " we are listening" It's usually enough to remind them to stop talking & listen.

Or I'll stop & ask "Do our ears listen well if our mouths are talking?" They usually say "No". My response is then " Well, then please silently remind your mouth to be quiet".

Reasoning has little effect on my 1st graders. I doubt it would work well for your kids. You need to just keep reminding them ( & be consistent about it) that they need to be quiet when you are talking. The more consistent you are about your procedures & rules, the happier your classroom will be. (I'm a 1st yr teacher too. It's the motto of my mentor)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

Well, here are some things that I do to quiet my kids down. See if any sound interesting:
    1. First of all, if my kids are getting a bit too loud, I'll either do my: one two, three, eyes on me. I explain what each number means and what they need to do when they hear this. eyes/ears on me, lips close, hands on head, freeze.

2. Sometimes I'll do the tootsie roll lollipop chant to get their attention. Tootsie roll (twist fingers in air)
    Lollipop (pretend to lick lollipop
    We've been talking (pretend to talk with hand)
    Now we stop

3. Sometimes if some kids are talking, I'll let the quiet ones get in line for recess early, or I let them walk down to the cafeteria by themeslves. They LOVE this!! It's a great reward for those who follow rules and gets the other kids to quiet down without me really saying a word.

4. Sometimes when my kids are talking or keep interupting me, I just stop talking and sit there, quiet. Usually, after a little while, someone starts shushing the kids. Then, I kindly remind them of my rule- make the class lose learning time, then you owe me your recess time.

5. Sometimes, I'll remind my kids, if someone interupts me, then I'll have to have you move your name. Then I'll remind them of my rule number 3, listen and work quietly. Then, the next time someone talks, have them move their name (or use whatever behavior system you have). That usually shows the kids that you mean buisness.

6. One thing that I've started doing recently, is that I've started teaching/talking with a lower, more quiet voice. I've found that if I talk with a quieter voice, my kids will start to talk quieter, plus they have to strain their ears to listen to me. This has helped cut down on side conversations (although it has not eliminated all- I've noticed many side conversations at least, has to do with our discussions). Then, if I ever have to raise my voice, wow the impact that it makes is much greater. Today, I had to do that. One of my kids was being very rude to my 4th grade helper. I raised my voice and I said, "you need to sit down, listen to ____, and get to work." Wow, did that work.

So, those are just some things that I do along with what you mentioned, consistency, postivie praise, and reinforcemnts. Hope it helps!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

I just remembered some more

7. If someone is sharing and another child is interupting him I say, "Hold on. I hear someone stealing your spoltlight."

8. Give them the teacher look.

6. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 4, 2006

I do this too and it works well in my classroom. I keep track of all the minutes they owe me on the board, and at the beginning of Friday free choice they owe me that time (heads down) before free choice begins.

I'll wait a little bit, then pick up my black marker and walk over to the whiteboard. I usually don't have to make more than 1 mark (one minute) and they are quiet. If we are waiting on only 1 table in the classroom, I'll use a marker corresponding to that color table (red marker for red table) and that table alone owes me free choice time.

It works really well for my kids because they love free choice time.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

I really like your #7!! I'm going to use that! :)

Oh, and #8........I've got that look down to a science! lol!:p

8. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Dec 5, 2006

I start singing whatever I am doing and that gets their attention right away. Sometimes, I just change my voice octaves and that works like a charm too!

9. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Dec 8, 2006

Counting to three..start LOUD with ONE! Then medium volume for "two" and WHISPER "three"....anyone who talks after three owes me 5 minutes of their center time. It usually works because they all hear "ONE!".....When I get to three...so far so good....no one makes a peep. (Guess they like Center Time!)

10. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Dec 8, 2006

I do simon says, or follow me (clap three times, they repeat, snap my fingers 4 times, they repeat, etc... They have to pay attention in order to follow my lead.)