Interruption Technique Didn't Work Today

Discussion in 'High School' started by Cheekyone, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

This is Summer school with 9th and 10th grade students. A young bunch that still relies heavily on a structure. Last week, this technique worked like a charm. We basically have a break time, but when students talk when a teacher is talking, we start the timer. Last week we only lost 3 minutes of break . Today(a Monday), the class wasted 8 minutes, since they felt their whole break was taken away anyway, so they kept talking, causing multiple attention- getters and redirections. Usually, I had been giving warnings when most students are talking and this method was overwhelming (and tiresome) so I really liked this timer idea. Why did it not work today, and what other method could I rely on to have students work together to not talk over instruction?

What can be done better in this method? What do you use? Thanks ahead of time for any help or advice.

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 9, 2018

the only thing I can suggest is to offer the students to earn back the minutes. I'm not a fan of this because then losing time is not a big deal, since they can earn it back, but if they lose too much time, they can easily lose interest since they lost most of it anyways.
    Maybe you can let them know that they can earn back half the time with excellent behavior?
    For example they have lost 8 minutes, bit if there are no issues what so ever, they can earn back 4. IF there are any more problems after that, they don't earn anything back. This way they can get a second chance.
    Still I'm not a fan of this, because now we're giving them chances where they really don't need it, they know how to behave. Often when they have a bad day, (if it was properly handled) the next day(s) they will have good behavior. So I would wait a day, se what happens, and then if they lose all the time again, maybe try this method?

Cheekyone likes this.
  4. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

Jul 15, 2018

It worked the next day. I guess it's okay if some days are less effective.