Interrupting

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by countrygal, Jan 14, 2009.

1. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

My first grade class is extremely talkative. I have been very consitent with the rules on talking, but they continue to talk. When I am teaching the majority of the class blurts out about anything and everything, whenever they feel the urge. If someone makes a comment they disagree with or they feel they can elaborate on they blurt it out. It takes us 30 minutes to get through a 5 minute activity. I have a few students that are becoming frustrated because of the behavior. Other teachers that come in seem to have the same problem. I started the year teaching the class rules and procedures. I have been very consistent. It may just be one of those classes, but there has to be a way somehow to get this under control. Any suggestions?

3. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

We do sticker charts in my classroom and when we are doing a activity, I have a lot of students that do the same thing. I have started passing out stickers to the students that have followed the directions. I put the stickers on their hand and after the activity they put the stickers on the chart. Sometimes I give double stickers and the student love that. Once they fill their chart, they pick from the junk truck, extra free time, or anything else I can think of.

4. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I was having the same problems in my third grade class and I started doing tally marks on the board for recess. Then they make up the time during recess in silence. Once their recess is at stake, it usually turns around. Be firm and be consistent. :)

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2009

I would second jillybean's suggestion as I believe it's best to focus on and reward positive behavior. Definitely focus on those doing as expected!

6. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jan 15, 2009

Maybe you could provide opportunities for the students to voice out. There are different 'call out' procedures such as a 'shout out.' I was a stickler for raising hand/wait to be called on but had to adjust. I'm not sure about the demographics of your classroom, but I've been learning about CCRTL. They teach you other methods for student participation beyond the traditional raise hand/take turn.

7. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

I like to model the expectations. Sometimes we want kids to shout out, so put your hand to your ear.
    Other times, we want hands. Raise your hand to model that that is what you want.
    It is so tempting to pay attention to blurters, but I try to ignore them.
    Last year I had one perpetual blurter, and I gave him a Hello My Name Is "Mert the Blurt" name tag and he wore it with pride (he was a clown, so he loved the joke).

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 16, 2009

Wow, that is my class! They are beginning to drive me CRAZY! It's like when I'm teaching they each feel like they're just having a conversation with me and they can talk whenever they want, and just respond to anything I have to say without raising their hands. I see the frustration on other teachers' faces when they come into my room, too. And I also see the frustration on some of the students' faces when I have to continuously remind the class to raise their hands.

Keep the suggestions coming!

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

I used to have that problem until I started implementing Power Teaching in my classroom. Seriously!! I mean, I didn't realize how effective it can be if you teach the kids the class rules, explain why they are important and practice them everyday. What makes the Power Teaching class rules routine so great is that I have a leader lead the class in restating the class rules with the gestures in the mornings before morning meeting, then when a child forgets and blurts out an answer or speaks out of turn, I just say..."Class, rule #2???" And they all say.."Raise your hands before you speak!" and that child automatically gets himself in check without me having to reprimand him. I just keep teaching like nothing happened. It works wonders!!!