Interpersonal/Household Living Skills Ideas

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by goq280, Aug 18, 2014.

1. goq280

goq280 New Member

Aug 18, 2014

Hello! I am a first year teacher at a high school and quite frankly, I was shocked when I saw that I was to be teaching classes like Household Living Skills and Interpersonal Skills while having no materials/guidelines whatsoever. I've already made Friday our cooking days in Household Living, but I'm at a loss as to what exactly I'm supposed to teach in Interpersonal Skills. (I have a mix of Severe/Profound and Mild/Moderate.) :help: In Household Living, I've taught them how to calculate money sums with a calculator (because let's face it, they're not going to pull out paper and pencil to figure out how much rent is for the month and how much of their paycheck is going to be left over.) Well, that test was today and they did great. So I need something for tomorrow and I have no idea.

My main concerns for Interpersonal Skills is that during that time, I have only my Severe/Profound guys.

My main concerns for Household Living is just that I'm not sure what is supposed to be covered there.

Any help would be great, thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2014

4. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 28, 2014

Oh I feel your pain. Some things I did last year were: made up personalized handwriting practice sheets for them to practice their sig (google this), had them memorize their SSN so they won't have to carry their card, practice writing their address and then test the lower ones every week, I would bring in an article to read to them and discuss and make up questions (gets them more aware of what's going on in the world and how to make decisions about issues), checks and check registers, money counting (math-aids.com has great practice worksheets at several skill levels), you can do consumer math and workplace writing skills for the moderate ones. Oh yeah, if you have access to a washer and dryer you can teach them that and we noticed that our front garden needs to be weeded so when it cools off we'll take them out there for that. BUt yeah, even with all that I found myself running out of ideas quite often. Oh yeah, and studying for driver's ed and hunting license even.