Internship Interview Thursday

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by MyMulligan, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Hello all...

I'm working full-time (not in education) while I pursue my MAED and will be student teaching in Jan '09. Since I work full-time, I have less opportunity to work with children and students than others who are going to school full-time...so, I am trying to get as much experience as possible in the meantime. I'm teaching faith formation at my church this year and going to the ASCD conference in March.

This week, a very interesting opportunity also presented itself. It's an Education Research and Writing internship for a local year-round, all girls charter school that will open its doors this fall. The school is looking for an intern to do research on trends in single sex schools, provide a national overview of the "state of single sex schools," critique feminist writings on the subject, develop briefs and talking points for interviews, as well as assist with grant writing. They are looking for a minimum 10 hrs/wk commitment. This would be a bit of a stretch for me since I work full-time and essentially have a full-time class schedule. However, if I could complete the internship work on evenings and weekends, I think it's doable. So, I let them know about my schedule restraints and they still want to interview me!! :woot:

So, I'm a bit nervous. I wasn't really planning on having to interview for anything education related until late this year or early next year (perhaps a part-time job while student teaching). I'd appreciate any and all advice or tips...especially websites or buzzwords on single-sex education. :help:

Thanks!! :up:

3. Colleen12

Colleen12 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on single-sex education, but I just wanted to say congrats on the interview and good luck!

Have you looked at http://www.singlesexschools.org/home.php? I don't know if it's any good, but I'd start there.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2008

5. Colleen12

Colleen12 Rookie

Jan 19, 2008

How did it turn out for you?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2008

Could be the interview hasn't happened yet.

7. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jan 19, 2008

Sorry all...it was a busy end of the week! I had lunch with her on Thursday and she offered me the intership right then and there. I accepted immediately so as not to give myself time to talk myself out of it! :lol: I will be VERY busy between a full time course load and full time work schedule. But, it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. They really want the school to be on the forefront of the national conversation about single-sex (and particularly girl only schools). I'm extremely excited to get started!

Thanks for the well wishes and information. I think it (obviously) really helped in the interview that I had a lot of research points to talk about! I did some google searches and Proquest searches before the interview, too. :thanks::up: