[Interning] What should I wear???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Hello.Mitra, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Hi all,

If you remember my first post (I was debating changing my major from English to Education), I decided to switch my major to Early Childhood Education - yay!

Anyway, I have service hours that need to be fulfilled for two of my classes (I am so excited!), so I will be in the classroom basically volunteering/assisting a first grade teacher with her students and their activities. The big question is: What should I wear?
    :confused:

I am assuming that since I am going to be around first graders, I should look fun, but professional at the same time. (I don't know how I feel about the Ms. Frizzle getup from the Magic School Bus, haha. :sorry: )

I was hoping for some pointers and suggestions so I can grab a few items of clothing over the weekend. So far, I was thinking just a pair of black, white, or gray skinny styled dress pants and a solid colorful 3/4 sleeve V-neck with a contrasting undershirt. Basic "nautralesque" makeup. I wasn't settled on shoes yet, but was opting for flats.

I look forward to your suggestions and ideas!
    :love:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2008

That would be fine. I would just warn that with 1st grade, don't wear something you'd be very uspet if it were ruined somehow.

You would be fine even in nice khakis and a cotton v-neck with brown ballet flats. Personally, I'd dress a bit nicer the first day and then fall back to khakis or inexpensive black pants with a cotton shirt.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2008

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2008

I don't think my link works (I tried it and it didn't load).

Here is a picture: [​IMG]
    I paid about $10 for them! And, they look cuter on!

6. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

I agree with Giraffe about dressing nicer the first day. Nice looking flats will be great and your feet will be thankful for it. I don't think I could be brave enough to wear white pants around first graders. I've bought a few pairs of ballet flats from Super Target and have received compliments about them from teachers at school, so I would check there.
    As for makeup, I normally just apply foundation and powder, some mascara, and lipgloss with a touchup or two during the day.

7. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Make sure that whatever you choose to wear is comfy and flexible, as you will likely be sitting in chairs (adult size and very tiny kid size :lol: ), standing up, sitting on the floor, etc. I agree with the advice to dress a bit nicer on the first day and then fall back to a bit more casual if it seems your mentor teacher is more casual also.

A piece of great advice I got from my school (and I think from some teachers on here, also): Always try to dress just a touch more professionally than the other staff. You haven't "earned" the right to be casual, and the P and other administration will be critiquing you. Someday, they may end up being your employer, so make a great and lasting impression now! :)

8. Hello.Mitra

Hello.Mitra Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

When you all say "dress nicer/more professional the first day", are you indicating I should wear something as fancy as a blouse, blazer, and dress pant? Or just a dress pant and nicer looking blouse?

I work at a bank part-time, and I was thinking I could basically get by with what I wear there (button blouses, vests, dress pants, etc.) Do any of you recommend (or highly dissuade from) wearing skirts? I know nothing too sleazy, but I'm thinking either a pencil or just above the knees. (And if I wear a skirt, does that mean sheer pantyhose are a must?)

I live in Florida, and it averages 98 degree days here. How about shorts with a button blouse?

9. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I always went with the rule that if you bend over- nothing should be hanging out the back or falling out the top. Make sure it's comfortable (especially those shoes!) and look professional. Then take off of what the rest of the teachers wear in the school. Check and see if there are rules about open toed shoes or skirts... if the principal is more relaxed or strict about dress code. Then try to dress at the same level as your cooperating teacher. That's usually the best bet!

10. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

What you describe wearing to work sounds good to me. I have worn skirts before and have made sure they are the right length like you described. I think you could get away without pantyhose; plus I dont think you would be happy if you got a run in them during the day. As far as shorts are concerned, how about bermuda shorts or nice looking capri's?