Internet Dating

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jen12, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 3, 2012

I'm dancing around the idea of internet dating. I don't think it's a horrible way to meet people and at the very least cure some boredom with a few dates, but I'm hesitant to pay the expense. It's also incredibly hard to write a personal profile? Who would think that could be so difficult? Then there's finding a good picture...oy vey...

Anyway...not the point. I'm posting because in looking at some of what other people write, it cracks me up. Men are looking for body types that are "curvy and athletic." To me, this is two different things. Of course, my method of staying in shape is CrossFit, so some of the women are extremely athletic and pretty much any "curve" comes from purchased enhancements, while "curvy" to me means anywhere from a realistic amount of body fat to Marilyn Monroe curves, so waht do I know?...on the other hand, that type of statement could also mean that the men are into both cury and athletic body types...it's a bit ambiguous. It's an interesting world, this internet dating, to say the least.

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

Best of luck on your new life adventure. It is fun to do the whole online dating, but I won't lie it hurts at times too. You meet the "real" men and you meet those just wanting to "hook up." I meet my share of men. I had fun, and didnt meet any in real life until I was certain.

Tomorrow marks 11 years that I meet my husband. We decided to meet on the 4th of July, more people out in public and it reassured me he wasn't a weird one lol. We dated for 7 years before we got married.

Good luck! (Always be cautious of who you meet. Remember: Public records are FREE! It doesn't hurt to double check.)

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 4, 2012

I know a couple of ladies who met their husbands online. I haven't seen one of them in so long (& probably won't), I don't know if she's even still married. I'd probably never do it myself, but to each his/her own!

Good luck!

5. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Jul 4, 2012

Okay, by "curvy" and "athletic", that is definitely code for "actually curvy" and "toned". Like, Kim Kardashian curvy.

They are looking for someone curvy and toned, but not curvy by being overweight, if that makes any sense. Sounds harsh, but that is how I'm looking at it.

Anyway, that's my best guess.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 4, 2012

When I hear/read "curvy," I think Marilyn Monroe. But that's probably because that's the type of woman I'm attracted to.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2012

I think that most people would read it the same way, except for the word "athletic". Once that word is used, it pretty much eliminates any sort of chub or "thick" body types.

I think that someone looking for "athletic and curvy" really means "skinny and big boobs".

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 4, 2012

I'd add a butt, too.

Skinny, boobs, butt.

I think I described myself as slender.

One line I remember from my profile was "... though not an academic snob, I'd like to meet someone that has spent time on a college campus."

Education is important to me, I didn't need a Ph.D candidate, but when I had been on a college campus for 12 years as a student and a teacher, that was the world I knew.

I also remember a line like, "Love bass fishing, the only person that can out-fish me is my Dad."

Lines like that show an interest in hobbies and a connection to family ...

(I met my husband online. I finally paid so I could make real contact with him, until then I just browsed. Dated 4 or 5 guys, all nice. Had several creepers that never got past a chat, never shared any contact info or met in person ... it gets pretty easy to determine who is creepy and who isn't by the questions they ask after 2 minutes of chatting with you! But, my husband had a bass boat! :))

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 4, 2012

:yeahthat:

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2012

Yep.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2012

Did he send a picture of the boat? :lol:

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 5, 2012

I used a free online dating site, OkCupid. (There's no way I'd use it if I had to pay, because it's just not worth the headaches of sifting through the weirdoes.)

Yeah, athletic and curvy seems like they're just dreaming. Guys who ask for that are probably going to always be disappointed, and probably never find anyone if they stick to that requirement.

I met my boyfriend of 2 and a half years on that site, but I do have to say that it requires a knack of sifting through the dead-beats, weirdos, and creepers. I never saw anyone face to face or gave them my personal info until my boyfriend, and that was only after 3 months of chatting with him and being reasonably sure that he wasn't any of those three categories I mentioned earlier.

I think the amount of success you get with those sites depends on your realistic expectations (you're not going to find Brad Pitt of Channing Tatum) and being judicious in your interactions and contact with people.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2012

I joined one of the sites last summer. I live in a rural area that I moved to after college, and it's just really hard to meet single people here. I didn't have any luck with that one because there just weren't that many people on there from my area. I was bored yesterday and started looking at a different site yesterday. There were more people who lived closer to me, so I signed up. At this point, as long as I'm careful about it, I figure it really can't hurt...

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2012

3 years of dating, 9 years of marriage and 3 kids ago I met my hubby online. He's the greatest guy, best dad, and comes from an amazing family It's great fun and I've known plenty of wonderful people who found each other that way. Enjoy the process!