Internet and cable companies are duping us!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jun 27, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 27, 2018

I made a post on here recently about switching solely to internet tv to save money! I just purchased a subscription to philo and its just 20 dollars a month. Plus Netflix which is 10 dollars a month. Altogether that leaves me with only 30 dollars each month for cable and movie.
    I buy subscriptions from networks such as showtime cinemax and HBO only when the shows I like to watch season is airing. Once the season is off I cut my subscription.
    Aside from tv, I've discovered that buying a mobile hotspot device which provides internet is cheaper than buying internet from a cable company. I purchased a mobile hotspot from ATT for just 120 and pay 50 dollars a month for hotspot. I teach from home and watch internet tv and the hotspot gives off better internet quality than what many these cable companies has to offer. I also have great internet speed with the mobile hotspot device!
    I was paying 92 dollars a month for internet and now only 50 a month

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

We did away with cable a few years ago. We have hulu, netflix, amazon...and when it's football season we pay for Playstation Vue. I don't really miss cable/satelite at all. Our internet is about $55 a month which isn't bad and it's unlimited. We pay way less than we use to for all of it, which has been helpful while I'm finishing up school.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

Yes same for me too. It seems as if cable companies would lower their prices to compete with internet tv but the prices always remain high. There are even some that checks a person credit historu! Smh

txbelle likes this.
  5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

I don't understand this comment. Is the 120 a one time purchase of technology?

Does ATT throttle the data once you reach a certain amount?

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

It was 120 for the device and ita prepaid so none of that data mess

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

Comcast has decided that in order to get internet at speeds which you can stream data you must have a basic cable plan too.

Using wireless services can be hit or miss because many charge high amounts for unlimited data and then throttle the data when you use a hot spot. So, your unlimited high-use data plan is useless for streaming once you have used a certain number of gigabytes.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

So you are saying for 120 for the device you can get unlimited data streaming via a hot spot for 50/month?

Seems to me that their 50/month plan only gives you 5 GB of data for 30 days.

Watching a mere 60 minutes of standard-definition video a day can utilize up to 8GB of data in a month, while that same amount of time spent watching HD videos can take up nearly 30GB.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

10. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

Its unlimited prepaid n
    Yes! I was shocked by this too

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

I'd sure love a link to that plan since I can't find it anywhere. That is an unbelievable deal. 50/month for unlimited data, no throttling, and no contract! I'm all for saving money.

12. TeacherCuriousExplore

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

Which card did you buy for your pre-paid plan?

That is the part I want to know because I've looked through every provider's pre-paid cards and every one limits the data per month - even ones that say unlimited such as StraightTalk which limits at 60Gb. Verizon's 50/month limits to 5 Gb. AT&T is similar.

I'd love to switch internet if you can really get an unlimited hot spot with streaming data for 50/month. That is too good to be true!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 27, 2018

We turned in our digital HD cable boxes yesterday. We had watched them less than a dozen times in the 2 years we had the digital HD plan. We aren’t major TV watchers, but we do usually have a series we watch in the evenings on Netflix or Prime. We did keep basic cable, which is $65 a month. On days I’m home alone (usually snow days) I will have the tv on for background noise.

We have the AT&T 16GB shared plan. We looked into unlimited, but it was more expensive because our teacher discount didn’t apply with it. We kept the 16GB plan. We don’t use enough high speed data to care when it drops slower. Now, DSS hates it because he is the one who uses the data.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

I have AT&T and my understanding is that although you can technically get an "unlimited" plan, they significantly slow down your data once you reach a certain point...I think maybe 20 GB? That's a lot and would be hard to reach just using the phone, but like a pp said would be very easy to use up with streaming. I would assume the slowed down data won't be fast enough to use streaming TV services.

16. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 28, 2018

If not for Sunday ticket, I'd get rid of Directv completely. I can watch all I want with Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and PS Vue, and wouldn't be paying for 1 million shopping channels.

17. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 28, 2018

My internet and home is only $70 a month, much lower than the $140 I was paying before switching to Uverse. 1TB is more than enough monthly data.

18. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2018

teacherCurious, any chance you can get me that pre-paid card information soon?

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2018

Bump

teacherCurious, any chance you can get me that pre-paid card information soon?

20. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jul 1, 2018

Yes its a 60 dollar plan

21. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2018

So it is 60 dollars not 50 like you said in the first post. What company? AT&T? I can't find a pre-paid 50 or 60 dollar card for a hotspot that has unlimited data. I find limited data or an unlimited that doesn't give hotspot (that is not really unlimited).

So, I am asking again for a link to this tremendous offer since it is too good to pass up.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2018

I think either Boost Mobile or Straight Talk has an unlimited plan for about $50. However, it is not unlimited high speed. I don’t know of any that don’t restrict your data speed after some point.

I run my iPad off my phone hotspot when I’m in places with no WiFi or poor signal. Works great unless it is the last week of the cycle, which is when DSS always runs us out of high speed data. Kids. :rolleyes: (Even 23 year old ones.) We have a 16GB shared plan through AT&T.

23. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2018

See. That is exactly why I keep asking. They all restrict high speed data at some point and the reason to go with a hot spot and an "unlimited" plan was to be able to purchase non-cable streaming services and stream. (Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video) So, if the data is throttled at 15G that 15 hours of standard tv (Netflix or internet tv) or 5 hours of HD tv. Sure it will work great for regular internet.

The reason we haven't gone to plans like that is that there is a more than 5 hours of HD tv watching a month going on in my home.

I asked and was told the first quote above.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 1, 2018

Our home internet also slows down at a certain point, but we have never gotten there. We aren’t big television watchers.

Some people think unlimited really means that there is no limit to the data they can use. Just like some people think a lifetime warranty will last for your whole life. :rolleyes: