International School Jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Aug 27, 2012.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 27, 2012

I know there have already been a few threads on this topic, but nonetheless, I would love to hear from AtoZ's international educators and how they found their overseas positions. Did you folks go through a recruiting company like Search Associates or ISS? Or directly apply to schools? When does the hiring season begin? I've heard most schools recruit in January but can start hiring as early as October. What were interviews like?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I'm mostly interested in private international schools (such as accredited IB schools), but would love to hear from ESL teachers and Department of Defense teachers, too.

Thanks. :love:

3. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 27, 2012

I found my position posted on Schoolspring. There are a couple of recruiting agencies that work with Abu Dhabi, but you don't pay fees like you would with Search Associates or ISS. You can check out Teach Away or AICD/ Caneducom. You do have to be a certified, but not ESL, teacher to work in Abu Dhabi, even though the students have very limited English. There are many, many teachers going there because they are doing a huge reform of their education system and the pay is quite good. They are beginning to look at teachers for January and for next fall now. You definitely want to start early with international positions. For my job, I had to have a phone interview, then travel to New York City for an in person interview. They do schedule various cities around the country for in person interviews.

Regarding IB programs- unless you have experience with this in the U.S., it is going to be difficult to get into one of these schools. I knew many teachers who were attempting to get into these schools in Dubai after our initial two year contract who were having difficulty because teachers from other countries with the program who had experience in it were getting the positions. Of course it is not impossible, but there is competition.

Good luck!

4. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into those companies that you've mentioned to keep my options open. I've heard pretty good things about Teachaway.

5. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 27, 2012

You're welcome! Most people I know used Teach Away and were very happy. I used the other company and was equally happy. They provide tons of information, answer any questions you may have, and connect you with other teachers heading over with you. They also have openings in other countries, so definitely worth checking out!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2012

I just searched online in the city I was looking at. Most international, accredited, American-type schools will require that you are credentialed, and have at least two years of experience. This could differ depending on the school, so you need to check requirements. Recruiting typically starts in November, but many schools are even starting in October, so if you are serious about this, you need to start doing your homework now.

Interviews can be done over Skype, phone, email, etc. It really depends on the school. Expect to need references, just like with any school.

This is my fourth year teaching internationally and though it was never something I had seen in my future, I absolutely love it. There is much less stress involved. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I really appreciate all the helpful responses! I added Teach Away to my favorites and recently registered for TIE online (I know a lot of schools post positions in their database).

I'm certified to teach K-12 English and K-5 Elementary in the States, and currently hold a Masters in English Literature so credentials shouldn't be too much of an issue. :)

TamiJ, do you mind sharing more of your experiences with me? In what ways is teaching internationally less stressful? What is the student body like (mostly international or local)? How did you deal with 'culture shock'? I'd love to hear more from you! Feel free to PM me.

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

I have been seriously looking into teaching abroad for the past couple of years. I'd love to go ASAP after student teaching this fall, although I realize that will probably not happen. How likely is it that a school will hire a newly certified teacher? If there is any chance left that I could secure an international job beginning in January, would my best bet be to contact schools individually or use a service? Thanks!!

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

I think *most* schools want at least 2 years experience. I was worried coming to CR with only one year. I did get a couple interviews (and in the end 3 job offers), but some schools didn't even write me back after seeing I only had one year experience.

I'm not sure how the programs work, but I didn't pay one. I looked into them and they were very expensive. So I just moved down to CR and applied when I got here. I know that's not a popular option, but it can be done. I applied to a few schools before coming down, but barely anyone responded. I find that (in CR at least) schools take you much more seriously when in-country.

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

Thank you, lucybelle. That takes a lot of courage to move to another country without a solid job prospect! Did you have a back up plan? Were you totally alone?

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

My back up plan was to teach English. Here there are TONS of people who just come and teach English. Teaching English pays very very little and I wasn't interested in doing it. So I'm glad I found a science position.

Luckily, my boyfriend is Costa Rican which is one of the reasons I moved down. He lived with me in the USA for 6 months while I supported him (he couldn't work on a tourist visa). So he agreed to support me for 6 months while I looked for a job. I had enough saved up to support myself for a year without a job so I wasn't really worried. If all went to hell, I'd just come back up to the USA, save up more money, then try to move back down again. I figured I'm young enough to make big mistakes and still have time to recover from them. So why not?;)

12. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 28, 2012

Myrisophilist, it's true most schools want two years experience, especially schools funded by the American government. However some schools do hire newly certified teachers. You want to check the requirements and research the school's reputation. I know Search Associates has options for internships, which (from my understanding) are one year contracts offered to teachers who don't have two years of full time experience yet. I've seen a few job postings on TIE that specifically state they're "new graduate friendly," but again, you wanna do careful research on the school. Most of those positions are located in Asia and the Middle East. I've heard through the grapevine that the job fair at the University of Northern Iowa is new grad. friendly.

Also, check out Oneika the Traveler's blog. She was hired at an international school in Mexico without the typical 2 yrs. of experience and her blog is very informative!

Being hired without experience is difficult, but it wouldn't hurt to look! :) Good luck!

13. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I like the way you think! Seriously, it took a lot of courage to move without a job already waiting for you. I hear Costa Rica is a stunning country. My close friend studied abroad there, and she fell in love with the natural beauty. :love: