International Postcard Exchange, Anyone? :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by adellesmama, Sep 19, 2009.

1. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Sep 19, 2009

Hello!

I realize that it's a bit late in the year to organize this sort of a thing, but my husband just returned home after a year in Iraq at the beginning of the school year...so other things got pushed to the wayside for a while. :D

To tell you a little about the project:

This is the third year that I have organized this exchange, and it's been such a great learning experience for my students. They get to see that the world is so much bigger than they ever imagined and that there are kids just like them in other countries.

Basically, if you decide to be involved in this exchange, you commit to sending one postcard to each class on the list. I usually have my students (second grade) work as a class to create a postcard message, then type it up and attach it to the postcards that I created (almost for free) at Vistaprint (http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/splash/splash_postcards.aspx?GP=9/19/2009+10:23:45+AM).

I am trying to get a few more to sign up to be involved in an international postcard exchange. So far we have 7 teachers committed to the project, with 5 different countries involved! I would welcome a few more U.S. participants as it is always good to have U.S. diversity represented in the exchange too...so far we have UT, PA, and MN signed up.

I am also interested in setting up a wikispace or blog so that the classes can interact with each other even after the postcards have been mailed. With each teacher becoming a member of the blog or wiki, we could include photos of students holding postcards others sent or just post interesting things that are going on in the different classrooms.

If you are interested, please fill out the Google form I created (http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE8xaVFqX29tdTJaZWlzclIyOUJvRWc6MA..) or send me a private message with your email address on this site. I will get back to you ASAP via email to confirm your postal address and interest in participating.

I would like to get this rolling by the end of September, so please reply soon!

Thanks!

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2009

I wish my kids could do it.
    They are Pre-Kindergartners.
    Rebel1

4. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Sep 19, 2009

I'm definitely interested! I teach students with learning disabilities (3rd-5th). I'm filling out the form now. :)

5. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Sep 20, 2009

Teacherella...yay :)

Rebel1...we would welcome you even if you had to do some very guided writing ;)