International Adoptions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by orangetea, Mar 17, 2014.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are just starting to look into adopting internationally. We probably don't want to have children of our own. We want to adopt from anywhere in South Asia. I've heard good stories and also negative experience. Does anyone have any advice? Cost isn't a huge issue since my parents are willing to help out with it.

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 17, 2014

Don't have advice but wanted to say good luck. We couldn't adopt which is why we did surrogacy but it is a great idea.

I will say that you should probably be prepared for a child who might have special needs that are not apparent at birth. I have two friends who work at behavioral schools and they have both said that a lot of the kids they work with are adopted. It's tough when you have no idea about their background.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 17, 2014

A friend of mine is going this summer to get their little boy from China. They just got approval paperwork this week!

GOOD LUCK!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2014

One of my colleagues has adopted 2 little girls from China. The paperwork and the wait was agonizing, but so worth it. I know that she blogged throughout the process, I'll see if I can find the link.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2014

Pay attention to the adoption laws in the country you're planning to adopt from. One of my friends was in the process of adopting a child from another country, and paid tens of thousands of dollars already, when that country decided that it would no longer allow single parents to adopt. My friend was just out the money she had spent, not to mention the time and effort involved in simply getting approved.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 17, 2014

A friend adopted a little girl from China. She had some health issues when they first got her, but you'd never know it to see her run around now. She is the light of their lives.

Good luck and best wishes through your process.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2014

Good luck!! My uncle and aunt adopted from South Asia about 13 years ago.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Good luck! I have cousins who adopted a little girl from Russia. She is an absolutely beautiful and sweet girl. They had been saving up money for years but are so happy now. She's been in this country for about 5 years now and you'd never know she was adopted.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Good luck! Don't know anyone first-hand myself.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

Wow, that's terrible. :( Thanks for letting me know.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

My friend adopted from Siberia (yes, I know, not South East Asia). She blogged about it and is really involved in international adoption. I'll see if I can get some info from her.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

If someone could help you get in touch with Aliceaac I know she has mentioned many times that her son was adopted internationally. She may be able to steer you in the right direction to find a reputable agency.

14. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Mar 19, 2014

I don't have anything helpful to add but I do wish you and your husband the best of luck! :)

I second the suggestion of getting in touch with Aliceacc. She's a great lady and her son was adopted from Korea.